My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, May 19, 2008

A Beauty, A Beast, and a Rose

You must be sick of me mentioning Roy Dotrice or anything about Father on Beauty & the Beast. Well............. one more time! But this time it has to do with the fact that I just purchased all 3 seasons of Beauty and the Beast on DVD!! ohhhhhhhh yeah!

Lookey Lookey!! They came in the mail Saturday, and I watched the first dvd which had 4 episodes on it. B&B ran from 1987-1990.

As much as I remember each episode (and amazingly I do remember !! I say amazing because it was never in rerun!) as I watch them... I find that I still forgot ..just how good they were!

Linda Hamilton never looked so good. (yeah, some guys will argue with that and say she looked better in the Terminator...but Nah.. it's not true!)

Perlman's makeup, was outstanding, and so were the costumes and every prop they had "below ground". For instance, I forgot that Father's (Roy) opening scene was in his "library"!! He had rows and rows of books!! (and you wonder why I love Father! cha!)

Exquisite costumes!!! I think the next time I see Armin I will have to discuss the costumes with him! I could never say enough good things about the people who did the costumes or the set designs and displays, so I will try to say it in just two words.

Absolutely Phenominal.

And just so I had a new photo to show ... I had forgotten (CRS) I had one of Jay Acovone who played Linda Hamiltons boss on the show.

And here's a little trivia for my book friends... George RR Martin wrote 14 of the 56 episodes for Beauty and the Beast and was consultant on many other episodes!! I guess we now know why Roy Dotrice did the audio versions of A Song of Ice and Fire! (which I would give anything to have, even a poor copy!.. just fyi , heh)

Strangely, Armin (Pascal) was in 14 episodes. It seems to be a magic number.

I managedto watch 2 dvd's of season one (8 episodes). I saw one episode that George RR Martin wrote, it was called Masques, it was a Halloween/ costume party, which allowed Vincent (the beast) to walk among normal people because they thought he had a costume on. It was also about an Irish writer who told a story about a man and woman, where he couldn't live in her type of life, and she couldn't live in his, yet the loved each other. (sound like Martin?)

I am surprised that he worked as a consultant on other episodes. This is what happens when a really good show gets lost and never hit reruns..things you missed the first time around, ... stayed missed.

I'm already glad I bought these dvds... though I truly thought I would never buy a television series on dvd. I never even bought my own friends show of Star Trek! (but of course they are forever in reruns, so no real need... though if they hadn't been so expensive I would have gotten them, just to have.)

So now I get to watch Roy A LOT! And that makes me happy, even if many years have passed since they were first aired. And occasionally one of his other movies pops up on the telly... and I do get to look forward to Hellboy II !! (even if only a small part, I will be thrilled to see him once again, as he is now)

I have to say this, especially to anyone who watched Beauty and the Beast and liked Roy's character of Father... you have to rent Cheech & Chong's Corsican Brothers and see Father like you've never seen him before or will again! lol

And lastly, I tortured myself (yet again!) searching for an audio cassette of Roy narrating Watership Down. *sigh* ..geez, who would think an audio tape would be so hard to find??? I mean, I'm talking Watership Down for gosh sake, not the over $1,000 price for George RR Martin's book in which Roy does hundreds of voices!... why do I torture myself? ARGH!

8 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I didn't even know this series was on DVD! I used to love it so much...I'm going to add it to my Netflix right now. I remember being so sad at the final episode of the series...lets see...in 1990 I would've been 9 at the time :p But I still remember it vividly. And that's crazy that George R.R. Martin was a writer on some of the episodes! Explains now why I liked it so much :)

2:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: hmmm, at 9 I bet you liked one of the kids that lived underground! lol.. That really blew me away when I saw George RR Martin's name on the writing credits.. i did a search of the B&B episodes and found out how many he wrote and he was consultant on quite a few others! I guess he liked Roy Dotrice and maybe suggested him as the one to do the audio of his books!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I don't remember ever watching this but it still has a huge fan following so I must be missing out!

4:16 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Oh my, I loved that show. Vincent was just so cool and I loved the fact that Catherine wasn't a helpless damsel in distress all the time. And Father was wonderful... Do you remember Mouse? I think he was my favorite 'background' character.

cjh

11:55 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Beauty & The Beadt was a very classy series...And I'm glad to hear that it is on DVD....! So many realy great series, like "THE DAYS AND NIGHTS OF MOLLY DODD" are NOT on DVD yet, and may never be available on DVD...!
Anyway, I understand wanting to own a RV Series that you loved and is never in reruns! Have a great time watching it all, Pat!

7:09 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: B&B was "before it's time" as they like to say.. It was a continual "being in love but we cannot be together love affair" AND it was stories of a strong female District Attorney.. AND it was a story of caring for unwanted people (old and young) below ground. Very ingenious series. Add the outstanding makeup and costumes and set designs and you have it.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I just added that series to my Netflix Queue (before I read this post).

Just stopped in to check on you and say "hello"

;-)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I don't know if this will be of any interest whatsoever to your readers...but I found a place you could watch some of the full episodes online. Here's the link. It's on CBS's website.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home