My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, April 14, 2008

The Wood Wife

Quest the First...

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

Book 2: The Wood Wife by Terri Windling

From Publishers Weekly......
When writer Maggie Black learns that her friend and mentor, poet Davis Cooper, has died and left her his house in the arid hills outside Tucson, Ariz., she travels there intending to write his biography and to investigate the mysterious circumstances of his death. Every detail she uncovers about Cooper's past, however, only seems to raise more questions. When Maggie comes home one evening to find that the house has been ransacked, it becomes clear that she's not the only one looking for answers. To solve the puzzle of Cooper's life and death, Maggie will have to outwit the Trickster and the other powerful quasi-human creatures that roam the desert hills and feed on creative energy. Although at times Windling's humans come off as too sensitive and artistic, her Native American spirits comprise an intriguing blend of human folklore and alien emotion. Her debut novelis richly imaginative, a captivating mix of traditional fantasy and magical realism.


This book was a pleasant surprise. After seeing this book crop up a number of times on the lists of others for Carl's challenge and since I had read the review at amazon, and i do love cowboy and Indian "stuff", I thought I might like this book, so I ordered it from Amazon.
However, while I was waiting for the book to arrive, I read a few reviews of the book and began to doubt that this book would be one I would enjoy...
I am happy to say I was wrong!
It's a mystery.
It's a love story.
It's Indian Lore.
It is a well written, and easily read.....
It's a darn good book!
The Wood Wife was a change from my normally read books, but one that makes you realize that Fantasy Fiction can go in many directions. I don't think those that have this book on their list for the challenge will be disappointed.

17 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm not sure I can resist the urge to say 'I told you so'. And well, I guess I can't! :)

I am so thrilled that you gave this a go and that you liked it as much as you did. My wife is reading it right now and is really enjoying it.

I cannot recommend this book enough and wish everyone would give it a shot. Good stuff!

You should try de Lint some time (if you haven't) as well. His work certainly has a similar voice to it.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

oh, and I added your review to my post reviewing this book.

10:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: lol I knew you'd say that! hahaha.. I was glad I chose it as "the next book to read" because I was soooooooooo different from the books I had just read. I do believe that made a big difference in how much I enjoyed the book. I surely needed something sooo different that I had to "pay attention" to what I was reading. (not that it was a difficult read, it was not) I did enjoy it and glad I read it

11:10 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

You beat me to it! lol..I should be getting to this one soon. And I see that you're reading The Goose Girl! I really want to read that one too. Well I already had a pretty good feeling that I'd like the Wood Wife, but I know I will now after your review. And I second Carl's advice...you should try some de Lint ;)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm pretty sure this one will not disappoint me. I can't wait to get to it.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really can't wait to read this in the next couple of months and yes try Charles de Lint, he is awesome!

1:37 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: I can say that I think if I didn't already have a "thing" for american indians this may not have been quite as good to me. It certainly helped keep my attention.

and um you forget I read Wild Wood by deLint and Stardust by Gaiman and although I enjoyed those books.. there was nothing in them to make me want to read more of either of their writings.. just not my style, and in reading Goose Girl I am pretty sure "re written fairly tales" are not my thing either. .. but it's good I at least give 'em a shot before deciding they just aren't for me.

I know you and Carl and many others can't get enough of them but my guess is "fairy tales" are not for me. New or retold. Something in the style of writing that just turns me off. I know I am waaaay in the minority! lol

Nymeth: if you like a mystery and like Indian Lore you will surely like this book!

Rhinoa: I did read Wild Wood by de Lint and it was ok but didn't make me want to run out and read more by him.. Maybe someday though, who knows?!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

It seems like The Wood Wife is *the* book to read for this challenge. So glad you enjoyed it - I'm pretty sure I'll get hold of it one of these days and like it very much.

You should read Charles De... oh... about 15 other people have already said that. *cough* (But you really should give him another chance. Dreams Underfoot. :-))

6:00 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked this book, Deslily! I was afraid I'd put you off it by talking about the poetry she included. She really did a nice job with it all, don't you think?

9:34 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I totally forgot that you read The Wild Wood! I have that one on my list because of you...duh :p Yeah, this genre isn't for everyone. I'm getting ready to get into your favorites...dragons! After I finish the Book of Flying I'm starting Here, There Be Dragons!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

This book sounds so fabulous. Nice to read something refreshingly different every once in awhile. Thanks for the review!

11:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: I did enjoy the book. It felt very comfortable, like someone sitting by you telling you all that happened.

Robin: well lol, poetry certainly isn't my thing lol but you can't help enjoying whatever you enjoy! I knew I'd try the book since I bought it...thankfully I got "curious" right away to find out just what happened in the desert!

Chris: yep, read two of your favorite authors but neither of them made me jump up and down and send for more of their books lol.. not that I didn't like what I read, it just didn't "thrill me".

Here There Be Dragons will be a little different than the norm but I really think you will like it. I still don't know how you can walk away from a trilogy when you have all the books like you've done with Pern unless, like me with de lint, it just didn't "do it" for ya.??

tricia: and it's even nicer when it's unexpected!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Corinne said...

OOO. This looks like something I would like!! Full of good stuff. It's now on my list :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

It sounds like a good book and I really love the cover!

You're Tink Approved! It's not much but I have an award for you here: http://ladytinksblog.blogspot.com/

4:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

corinne: don'tcha just love how your list grows during Carls challenge? lol..

Ladytink: hey! whadaya mean it's not much!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I had to special order this one from Barnes & Noble. I just picked it up a few days ago. I can't wait to read it!

6:05 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

So glad to hear you enjoyed this one...I've got it in my pile, and hope to get to one day soon.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home