My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

'Splain Somethin' to me Lucy..

So.. some of you know that there are a number of actors I adore... (we all have our share, so don't go chuckling!)
One such person I have written about before... his name is Roy Dotrice.
Many know him from the television series Beauty and the Beast. Or maybe you saw Madigan Men, or maybe a movie or two? (like: The Cutting Edge or Cheech & Chong's Corsican Brothers)
Anyway... I need something explained to me... no, I mean it! .. really ! .. I don't get it!... I know that I'm not the brightest bulb in the package but I truly do not get this at all!
I collect some things on actors I like... mostly their movies, but sometimes they write a book or a book comes out about them etc... In this case, something I would like of Roy's are books that he's narrated.
Simple enough right?
Well, I must be living under a rock, because famous or not, popular or not, I need it explained to me why two such books that Roy narrated are so "freeking" high in price!!
They would be these two of 4 popular books... but... popular, to me doesn't make them worth the prices I am seeing... and the prices listed here are the LOWEST!...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
Audio Cassette (Audiobook,Unabridged) 5 used & new from $212.38 Roy Dotrice (Reader)

A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2)
Audio Cassette (Audiobook,Unabridged) 4 used & new from $198.79 Roy Dotrice (Narrated by)

...now compare those to the last two books of the same collection, that Roy DOES NOT narrate!
A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3)
Audio Cassette (Audiobook,Unabridged) 9 used & new from $48.73

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Audio CD (Audiobook,Unabridged) $65.00 $45.50 John Lee (Narrator)


Ok.. hurry up! Explain it all to me!! I need to know WHY I can't even come close to affording to have these audio books!! (I never collected audio books but I thought it would be great to have the ones Roy did... cha!)
After finding those books I am afraid to even look for any of the others he's narrated!!!... and I do love his voice! *sigh*
Books that Roy Narrated...
  • Watership Down
  • Robin Hood TV series -
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Batman - cartoon series
  • Death Gate Cycle Vol. 4: Serpent Mage
  • Three volumes of George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice And Fire" with over 500 different characters! (you can see why I would want this!)
  • Winnie the Pooh *Grammy Award Nomination*
  • The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff
and Disney's...
  • The Little Mermaid
  • The Little Mermaid (Xmas Edition)
  • Pocahontas
  • The Hunting of the Snark
  • The Lion King
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Beauty and the Beast (Xmas Edition)

I did a dumb thing... I looked on the web anyway...
I AM SCREAMING!!! ARRGHHHH~! I have spent about 2 hours searching the web to see if i can find the audio version of Watership Down read by Roy Dotrice to possibly buy, ...since I know dang well I can't afford The Game of Thrones!
Do you think I can find ANY? *yeahrightsure!*
I found some sort of Download with stuff I don't have on my computer and will not download from some place I don't know...but to buy it? nada.
Not even on ebay!
I found one place that had an ISBN( 0600560589 ) number so I thought, "great! this will help me find it!"... nada..
First it ticked me off... now I am getting downright depressed. *sniffle*sniffle* I love you Roy... but I give up. :o(

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

O DEER! I don't think I'm familiar him - certainly not familiar enough to recollect his voice ... but it must be "SOME VOICE"... WOW! I never even realized that audio books were sooooooo much more expensive than visual books. (I mean even the cheap ones)... hm. Crazy!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Wow, those are insane prices...I guess it goes to show how good he is!

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to find Watership Down :(

5:04 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Good Lord that's a lot of money!!! I have no idea why it costs so much, but it looks like anything that goes out of print having to do with this series skyrockets in price. It truly is a wonderful fantasy series. One of my all time favorites. And I haven't even caught up with it yet! I really want to buy the Subterranean editions that are gorgeously illustrated by Charles Vess and other remarkable artists but you can't even imagine those prices...we're talking over $700 a piece now that they're out of print. I'm afraid I'll never have those :( I would highly, highly recommend this series though...they're all available either in very large paperbacks (larger than standard trades) or hardcovers or if you can find a cheaper audio that would be a really cool experience. It would be so great to hear him read it though! This would be a good one to have on audio book with a good reader.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Just about fell off my chair when I saw those prices. Dreadful. I've no idea why that would be either other than they must be pretty special.

5:57 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli" Oooooo you never saw Beauty and the Beast with Ron Perlman??? It was a great show.. Roy, played a character called "Father"...

Nymeth: no kidding!! I don't get it!.. I really won't totally give up looking for wathership down narrated by Roy.. one day I'll find it!

Chris: isn't it amazing! All of it! The price of the audios, the Subterranean editions you'd like to have, "original "first 3 hardback books of Pern are like 1,200 or more each...It honestly makes no sense!!

5:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: Makes me kinda wish I didn't like Roy Dotrice so much!! LOL..

6:01 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It has to be that it is not available anymore...! And that they on't plan to re-issue it...That's all I can think it could be because as with so many other things like that--Like Books, for instance, it becomes "rare", and therefore the fewer there are around the more money these "rare" things will cost.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home