My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Igraine the Brave


For my first book in the Once Upon A Time II Challenge I give you, The Journey, in the form of a Fairytale:
Igraine the Brave by Cornelia Funke
Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: The Chicken House (September 24, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0439903793


Since I don't want to give any book Cornelia Funke writes it's just due.. here is a professional review:
Princess Igraine dreams of becoming a famous knight just like her great grandfather, but the truth is, life at the family castle is rather boring. Until the nephew of the baroness-next-door shows up. He's got a dastardly plan to capture the castle and claim as his own the wonderful singing spell books that belong to Igraine's magician parents. To make matters worse, at the very moment of the siege, her mom and dad botch a spell, turning themselves into pigs! Aided by a Gentle Giant and a Sorrowful Knight, it's up to Igraine to be brave and save the day--and the books!
A great little book to read to young kids. I have found Cornelia Funke to be one of the best storytellers for the younger (and not so young) lovers of books.
Igraine is a young girl who wants to grow up to be a Knight like her great, great, grandfather was. Her brother, on the other hand wants to learn magic and be a magician like their parents are.
At a very inconvient time, while doing some magic, Igraine's parents accidently turn their selves into pigs. Not the best thing to happen, since they need giant hairs to be able to turn them back, and they are out of giant hairs!
All of this while someone is about to storm their small castle to get a hold of the singing spell books. Igraine gets a chance to prove herself in her quest to get the giant hairs and help a knight along the way, while helping her parents get back to normal.
This was a cute book.. but I have come to expect nothing less from Cornelia Funke. She seems to be able to write for the very young and also those about to become adults, such as her Inkheart series. (which, by the way, reads very well to us elderly too!)
This would be a book I'd get to read to my young children... if I had any. As for my 12 yr old grandson ... well he is right at the age he may or may not like a "fairytale" type story.
The Journey Quest... completed!
Now on to: Quest the First
(Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time II criteria. This one will take a little longer... heh.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

This sounds like a book that might be a good read-aloud for my class. I haven't read any of Funke's books, so I appreciate your review.

8:55 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Robin: ohh I don't know what grade you read to but Cornelia is a wonderful storyteller! The Dragonrider and Lord Thief are others of hers for the young (under 12) I haven't read them yet but I heard her ghost books are great too!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

This sounds like such a fun, sweet book :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Very cool! Ok...so you know I'm going to add it to the wishlist...as much as I love this challenge, I really hate it too for that reason :p

12:11 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm giggling here. I MUST read this one myself.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh, I can't wait to get this one! Though who will love it more--me or the boys--is anyone's guess!

12:42 PM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

A good - a new Cornelia Funke. My daughter (18-yrs-old) and I love her. Daughter was so upset because they just moved the movie Inkheart back so now it won't come out until 2009.

7:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: it is a cute book! For a little younger, like her book of Dragonrider.

Chris: oh geez, get her Inkheart series first!!!

Pam: it would be my luck if I did magic to turn myself into a pig! lol

Debi: maybe the boys..?? maybe? lol

Booklogged: last I heard it was for a December release but haven't heard anything in a while. I was badly disappointed too! Heck it's done and in the can!! Not sure what they are waiting for?? because if it goes well (and I do think it will) the young girl playing Meg will not stay young enough!!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Congrats on finishing your first book for the challenge! I certainly look forward to the theatrical version of her book and hope it ends up being a good one rather than the mostly disappointing recent book-to-film transfers of YA fiction.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Framed said...

I enjoyed the Inkheart series and Have the the Thief Lord on my shelves. I really considered buying Igraine but decided it was younger than I felt like reading. After reading your review, I may rethink that.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home