My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Eddings, One More Time

Belgarath the Sorcerer by David Eddings
Hardback: 711 pages
Publisher: Del Rey
ISBN-10: 0345373243



While relating his event-filled life, the immortal sorcerer Belgarath weaves a compelling tale of two opposing Necessities that spans 7000 years and bears witness to the rise and fall of human hopes and destinies.
In other words: Belgarath tells the story of his life, from the time he's a youth right up until Belgarion is born and becomes the Child of Light... which spans several thousand years. It's quite amazing how Eddings manages to cover several thousand years in just 711 pages, and he does it so smoothly that you don't realize it's happening. Still, he does cover all the "before" things that had to happen to bring about the story of the Belgaraid.
You also get more feeling about Belgarath when he covers the part where he meets his future wife Poledra, their life together until they marry and the birth of Belgarath's twin daughters.
I think I like Belgarath's God, Aldur ..because Belgarath sure stays in great physical condition for such an old man!!.. I wouldn't mind having some of that!
Belgarath the Sorcerer and Polgara the Sorceress were follow up books put out by Eddings to fill in all the lost spaces and questions that might arise about how, when, where, who etc.. that lead up to the Belgaraid series. And I have to say, he did this in fine style! Although this is a stand alone book, you would by no means understand most of it if you didn't read the series first.
For my next read I am going to take a little break from the series' I've been rereading and will read "Just One More Thing" by Peter Falk... about.. Peter Falk. And yeah, I like Peter Falk so this should be a good read!

2 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I don't think I kmew that Peter Falf wrote a book! I must have known, and forgot! (lol) I do not like that the memory is playing tricks like that....!

In regard to Marlene D. singing "Where Have All The Flowers Gone"...it was one of the important songs of her "act"....She had this very very successful Caberet and Concert career for many many years....And there are actually at least TWO YouTube versions of her singing this great song....one from 1963 and another from 1972...The very same year (If I am recalling correctly) that I saw her at The Ahmanson Theatre, at The Music Center, here in Los Angeles, "in concert".....It was an astouding and incredibly moving evening. "Where Have All The Flowers Gone" was featured prominently, for the very great Anti War Song that it is....! She sang this song all over the world, for many many years...And she had very strong convictions about War in general, and traveled for the USO all during World War 2, singing for our troops, often, near the front lines. Dietrich was a remarkable entertainer and a remarkable person, too.

11:26 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: the Peter Falk book is fairly new.. it's not really a Biography.. more like tidbits of different memories.. it's actually pretty cute lol..

I can remember seeing (or hearing) Marlene sing that song.. what surprised me was you finding it on a video on you tube! lol

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home