My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 11, 2008

Book & Meme

Peter Jackson: From Prince of Splatter to Lord of the Rings by Ian Pryor
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books; First Edition edition (April 3, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0312322941


Amazon Review:
This fascinating look at the now celebrated director tells of the inspiration that have led to the making of the three world-famous Lord of the Rings films - and the six other films that preceded them. This unauthorized biography traces the journey of a young movie fanatic, from Sunday afternoons spent fooling around with a camera, through low-budget cult movies, to control of the most ambitious film project ever, on what is probably the best-loved fantasy novel ever written.This in-depth biography explores the many talents of the young Peter Jackson: the making of Bad Taste; Meet the Feebles; Braindead; Heavenly Creatures; Forgotten Silver; The Frighteners, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. The story behind the Rings - which tells how Jackson got the rights to make the film and the permission and funding to make three films rather than collapsing the story into just one or two films, interviews, and other behind the scenes material from the making of the landmark films. Past and future - in which the author considers Jackson's achievements and possible future - including his remake of King Kong.From casts of zombies, traumatized puppets and murderous teenagers, to deal-making in Hollywood, this book is about following one's visions wherever they might lead.

All I can say is: the review sounds better then it read.
True, it talked briefly about his beginnings with his first small camera, and true it covered the movies he made before LOTR (those were the Splatter movies.. blood / gore etc) but to me it didn't really say a whole lot about the Man himself, and Mr Pryor dedicated way to much about the individual movies. It got to the point I began skimming for I knew I wasn't missing anything about Mr Jackson.
Originally I had wanted the "big book" about Peter Jackson, but I just couldn't afford it. Now I would say to anyone wanting to read a Biography on him, that the book I got, isn't the best. Oh, it does give you some information on those first movies (too much) but if you want to know more of the Man himself, this might not be the book you want.
'Nuff said. It was ok but I've read better Biographies that's for sure!
*********************

Chris tagged me for a book-type meme.. I had to think about this since I've only written one thing and I'm about as far from being a "writer" as a fish out of water. (make that a whale! sheesh) Anyway.. here's all I could come up with...
Meme: 10 signs that I wrote the book.
1...It would be a Fantasy (that was a no brainer! heh)
2...OR: a "then and now" photo book of celebrities (this has been in the back of my mind for eons!)
3...A lot of dialogue (I think dialogue is a big insight into the character)
4...It would probably have at least one dragon (yet another no brainer for anyone that knows me)
5... and a sorcerer of some type (yoo-hooo looking for a new job Gandalf??)
6...Some magic involved, but not a lot (it wouldn't be fantasy without some impossible things happening)
7...Titles to each chapter (not just ch. 1, 2 etc)
8...It would be at least a duology or trilogy or more! (the more the merrier)
9...It would contain artwork in it (as much graphics as possible!)
10...It would have an "open ended ending".. just in case more came along!( heh)

Ok, that's it then... nothing earth shattering.
Now I'm supposed to pick others to do this but I'll leave it up to you! Leave a link if you do it though so I can come by and read your 10 !

11 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

You...write a fantasy? NO!!! LOL! Totally agree that dialogue is a big insight into a character and I did a horrible job with that...I guess it's something that comes with practice. You did an amazing job with the dialogue between your characters. And chapter titles...I had no creativity when it came to that so I ended up with 1, 2, 3...I wanted to do more though. Love your answers! They fit Kesterwood perfectly :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: oh? no big surprises? Heh!

1:34 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Chapter titles are cool but they're so hard to come up with! I think it's great that you can do it.

And I'd love to read a book like that one!

cjh

1:47 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I could have seen the dragon coming, yup :P

I love chapter titles :) And the idea of including artwork too.

I was tagged for this one too, so I'll have my answers up later this week.

1:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: will email you

nymeth: figured that out huh? LOL

Looking forward to your post on the meme !

5:08 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Of his previous films, The Frighteners will always be my favorite! I hate it when you put a lot of time and money into a book and it doesn't pay off! Hope you can get a better one soon!

6:43 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Lady: it wasn't "bad".. just wanted to know a bit more of the man. I knew they'd talk about all his movies..but it did go on and on and not much about him really.

7:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Sorry it didn't pan out. I'll certainly review the other PJ bio when I read it. I'm hoping that a book written by a Tolkien scholar will have the kind of emphasis that I want on the man himself.

8:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: for the price difference I sure hope you have a really good Biography! lol.. I had other bio's that weren't expensive and they were pretty good.. had hopes for this one, but alas ...

9:15 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

Yeah I did this meme as well, I would totally write a fantasy book (or maybe sci fi) as well.

I find Peter Jackson a very interesting director, but I wonder if I would still like him if I knew any more about his personal life. My opinion of other famous people whose work I admire has gone down after reading bios of them and learning they had, you know, 2 wives at the same time, or 16 illegitimate children etc.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home