My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, February 01, 2008

The Bartimaeus Trilogy


In the last few days I began to read the Bartimaeus Trilogy.
Today I finished book I: The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.
Cover art by: Melvyn Grant.
Hardcover: 464 pages
Publisher: Miramax (September 29, 2003)
ISBN-10: 078681859X



This is a YA book, but one any adult can enjoy.. I sure did! What a pleasant surprise this book was! Who can't like Wizards and djinni's? Especially, this Djinni! ...Bartimaeus! His sarcastic humor is impossible to go unnoticed and you find yourself smiling at his antics.
At the age of five Nathaniel is sold to become an apprentice to a magician, Arthur Underwood. The story takes place in London where Magicians rule the land and where Nathaniel devours magical texts and hones his magic skills.
At about age 11 Nathaniel is humiliated by a Wizard of some renown named, Lovelace, and Nathaniel vows revenge on the wizard. Some time later he conjures his first Djinni, who just happens to be Bartimaeus, who he asks to steal the Amulet of Samarkand from Lovelace, to begin his revenge against him.
Although his age is against him, a really good adventure ensues, as Bartimaeus is forced to save his master time and again against the likes of Lovelace and horde of underworld creatures he has at his command.
The book switches back and forth between first person (Bartimaeus) and third person in the reading, but it's done so well I found this to be no problem at all. I imagine it wasn't easy coming up with such a great personality as Mr. Stroud has done with Bartimaeus, but he's done a wonderful job!
This is a really fun and enjoyable book. I am excited that I have the remaining two books to this trilogy and expect each book to be just as much fun as this one was! I have to say I am very glad my friend, Annie, gave me that gift card so that I could get these books!! (thanks again Annie!)
Now I am off to begin book II "The Golem's Eye"!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I have this sitting in my book bag right now. One of my reading groups was reading it in Jan. but I never got around to it.

4:42 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I LOVE your delight in the books you read and so enjoy! You may have explained this and I have just forgotten, but what makea a book a YA Book? I know it must have to do with content, but I was just wondering what might be off limits for YA's....and what Age Group is that, actually, Pat?

5:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: Oh! I think you'll like it! It's strange to "enjoy" a demon but you will this one haha.

Hi Naomi: From what I can tell most YA (Young Adult) books say 9-12 or 9 and above. I think I read once that the restrictions of a YA book is "no sex " and "language"(no cursing). To be honest there isn't a LOT of "romance" in Fantasy books anyway.. but the least suggestion would keep it from being a YA book.

A number of YA authors have come up with some really good story telling though, which is why I enjoy many of the books. Good story and good character building.

5:54 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

OK, I might try this one now...remember that question in that meme the other day about "name a book that you cringe away from for no reason?" This was one of them. It's not that I thought it would be bad, but for some reason I had absolutely no desire to read them despite hearing nothing but good stuff. But your review may have just turned me. I may check them out...think I'll like them? By the way, I'm about 50 pages into Fablehaven and it's AWESOME!!!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I liked this one too. Unusual, not so nice, hero and great djinn character. I've never got around to the other two books though so will be interested to hear what you think when you've read them.

7:12 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: when it comes to YA books we seem to like alot alike so I think you'd like this. Can't wait for the review on Fablehaven!

Cath: yeah, the djinn makes the book for sure! But I liked the villian of Lovelace too...he was a good villian! (nasty! lol)

7:24 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

It was funny to read what Chris wrote, because I've had the same reaction to them...and for the life of me can't explain why. Annie loved them and has tried to get me to read them, but I have some sort of block. Hope you enjoy the rest of the trilogy as much as this one!

3:29 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

I was just looking at this one.

I got a copy of Fablehaven 3, but it isn't bound. (It's literally a pile of paper bound with a rubber band.) I've committed to doing the review but I can send it off when I'm done since it doesn't come out 'til April.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home