My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

1st Book of the New Year

Dragon Harper: Anne & Todd McCaffrey
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (December 26, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0345480309



I love Pern. I love the dragons. And I love stories of Pern.
Overall, I enjoyed this book. But...
I have to admit that what came across with this book is that it's a long, short story. The story wrapped around one incident that occurs in Pern. It begins at Harper Hall with a young man named Kindan who is hoping to become a Harper and maybe even be assigned to Benden Weyr.
It's a story of friendships, accepting female Harpers and of loss when an overwhelming plague hits Pern.
It's a story of young love and youth cut short and of becoming all that you can be.
Like I said, it's a good story.. but to me it shouldn't have been a hardback book. Much of it did not seem like the writing of Anne McCaffrey, or even Todd McCaffrey (from the other books of his I've read). This may sound odd, but it's how I felt when I say, parts of the book sounded like something a non professional writer could do. That's not to say it wasn't good.. but it is to say, I have come to expect more from the McCaffrey authors.
Am I glad to have this book in my Pern collection? Most assuredly! I'm glad it's part of my collection.. and I did enjoy it! But I feel some disappointment at the same time. *sigh*
So to rectify this I am going to begin my first re-read of the year by reading the first Pern novels!

7 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but the first I ever heard of Pern was in your post of a few days ago. Sounds like a collection I must try, huh?

I'm sorry your first book of the year was somewhat of a disappointment for you! Sounds like you're going to make sure your second isn't!

11:48 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: well, it wasn't a total disappointment.. I love anything about Pern and the dragons etc.. It's just that the story telling is usually of a better quality. But yes, I've already begun Dragonflight. Her first 3 books, plus the 3 small ones that follow on more minor characters are just fantastic! I still can't imagine anyone being a fantasy-lover never having read the Pern series (or the dragonlance series by weis and hickman!)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I don't think I've read anything by that author before.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Hmm, I wonder what accounts for the ordinariness of the writing - it certainly isn't what you expect from a Pern book, they're usually rivetting! I'm sure you won't be disappointed in your reread though. :-)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations. I love your idea of cleansing your Pern palate with a re-read of the first one. I have to embarrasingly say, as a sci fi/fantasy fan, that I have never read any of Anne McCaffrey's books. I know, I know.

6:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ladytink: if you like great characters and dragons you'd like them The Dragonsriders of Pern

Cath: I've only read the first 3 chapters and even though I know what will happen I just love it!

Carl: part of the disappointment is loving the original characters so much and of course they aren't in the later books that her son writes..but honestly the other ones he wrote seemed more up to his mothers quality, where this one, while it was good,.. wasn't great!

7:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's the tough thing about being a reviewer, amateur or otherwise. Eventually you have a less than stellar review to give on someone or a place that you know can do better. It makes you feel kind of bad but you have to admit being underwhelmed.

I like to review resturants on a site and I really don't like to give bad reviews, but it does happen occasionally.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home