My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 17, 2007

Yet Another Great Read!

Well, I finished reading yet another Mary Russel book. This was another good one! I don't think I've found a "bad one" yet! I do have favorites but they all have kept me steadily reading right up to the end.

A Letter of Mary: by Laurie R King
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Picador;(October 30, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0312427387




I still can't believe how much I've enjoyed these books! I guess I never realized how much I liked Sherlock Holmes, and I have found I really love Mary Russell! I went so far as to buy a huge Holmes book containing many of his stories that I haven't read yet, and I already know as much as I may enjoy those stories, I will miss the fact that Mary Russell won't be in them! But I have found used copies of the other 4 Mary Russell books and sometime after the holidays, I plan to order them.
I love the way Laurie King writes her characters. I don't think you could ever separate HER Holmes from Doyle's Holmes! I also love the way she tosses Watson in the mix now and then and even Conan Doyle. In A Letter of Mary I even had to smile when this sentence appeared as Mary was speaking to her husband Holmes.. "Had a nice chat with a few friends over a pie and a pint, and met an odd man named Tolkien, a reader in English literature at Leeds who has a passion for early Anglo-Saxon poetry and runes and such." (my, my! That would be our very own J R R Tolkien! haha)
This particular "case" surrounds the death (murder) of a lady that Mary and Holmes had met briefly in Palestine, who is an archaeologist. She gives Mary a box containing a papyrus supposedly written by Mary Magdalene and within a day she is reported as having been killed, being struck by an automobile.. thus begins the mystery of finding out if it was a murder and why.
As always there is the marriage/ partnership between Mary Russell and Holmes. I love that Holmes continually calls her "Russell" as a term of endearment.
All I can really say about this book (and the other Mary Russell books) is that if you like mysteries and solving them and tossing in some British humour these books are a "must read"!

.... oh me, oh my.. Christmas Eve is but a week away!...

5 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I just started the first one. Love it already...

10:30 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

ooooooh, I can't wait to read these :) I really like the covers for some reason too. They're cool.

10:38 AM  
Blogger darkorpheus said...

Glad you love the Mary Russell books. Laurie R. King really knows how to write her characters, doesn't she?

Are you aware she has a blog here:
http://laurierking.com/wp.php

11:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: if you like Holmes you will love these books.. I only say that because if you don't like the way Holmes comes to his conclusions, well.. mary does it the same way! They are so good!

Hi Dark O: yes, I found her website and her blog and her newsletters lol.. these books are about as far away from my normal reading as I've ever been! (but nothing will replace my love of my fantasy books!)

11:32 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

That sounds like a great read.

Your Santa is freakin' me out ho ho ho hoooold on to your belt.

1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home