My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Another Book Bites the Dust

His Dark Materials: Part III: The Amber Spyglass



Well, well, well........ what can I say except : I can not wait to see the movie!
Part III, The Amber Spyglass, moved very quickly! Something was always happening with Lyra and Will or a half dozen of the other characters that managed to infiltrate my life while reading this book.
A favorite character, who made his appearance even in book III, is the king of the bears Iorek Byrnison. Fantastic character! (for the first movie he is voiced by Ian McKellan!) Yet another who filtered into Lyra and Will's lives (and mine) was Mr. Scoresby, who flew a balloon, and was a friend to Iorek Byrnison. Oh and I can't forget the witch, Serafina Pekkala. I really liked these characters!! Actually, there are too many characters and too many worlds to name .. and yet they all had important parts in the whole trilogy.
This was, as I said, a fast paced ending but not without a slew of things going on. The subtle knife cutting through to other places, finding new and interesting beings, even traveling to the land of the dead!
Throughout the entire book there was always hope, anger, death, fear and even love. Pullman manages to take you through all your emotions while telling his fantastical tale.
When I began this book, I wasn't sure I'd like it...( it was that first 100 pages.. just didn't grab me tight like other books have).. but then it took hold, and I'm more than glad it did because I totally enjoyed this entire trilogy!
I know a day will come when I read it all over again! Yeah, it was that good.

8 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I cannot wait to read these!!! They are among Annie's all-time favorites. My husband is reading The Amber Spyglass right now. I think he had a tougher time getting into this one at first, too, but is now thoroughly enjoying it. The two of them will be at the theater Friday night for sure! (But I'll be sitting home pouting because I haven't read them yet and don't want to spoil anything by seeing the movie first.)

11:44 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: Oh my! With the both of them seeing the movie, it will be hard for them not to talk about it!!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

A bit off topic, but I love your Christmas Countdown graphic, that is very fun. I'll enjoy looking at it every time I pop over here.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I'm reading The Chronicles of Narnia for the first time and really enjoying it. After I'm through with those I have to get my hands on this!!!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the series :) You're right that the characters and all the emotions are what really makes these books. Well, for me, anyway. The last book just broke my heart. I found the ending so beautiful and hopeful, and at the same time so sad. Sigh, I really need to read these again. I miss them, and this is a series I never tire of revisiting.

2:49 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I can't wait to read these now!! If you and Nymeth both liked them so much, I'm sure I will too. Hmmm, I've seen the version you have and it's really a good bargain! Perhaps I'll pick that version up.

And I agree with Carl, love the Christmas countdown thingy!

4:39 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: thanks, there are a few to choose from anyone can get them!

ladytink: he created some very good characters.. after a while you wanted to know them for yourself lol

Nymeth: yeah, the ending kinda got to me too! Pullman is really good at giving his characters personalities!

Chris: yeah I think you'd like these books..(sorry to add to your wish list lol) This version was about 17.00 and was all 3 books.. but I have to say it was hard holding it while reading! But I couldn't have afforded them any other way just now.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Thanks Deslily. It will be fun for me just to check it out every time I hop over here!

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home