My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Relaxing Day

Yesterday, being election day, David had the day off... which means, once he's up and about, I don't have to do as much for my brother because he is already downstairs to do things! (ahhhhhh, can you hear my back and foot sighing with some relief?!).
So this gave me time to sit with my dang foot ( I am soooooo sick of this heavy boot you can't imagine!) up on the bed and read more than normal.. so of course, I did!
In truth I am not a fast reader. And I tend to set books down alot, only because I want them to last longer, however, many of the YA books I've been reading are such easy and fast reads that sometimes I'm disappointed that I finish them so quickly. Especially since I am finding most of them to be captivating and gratifying. .. anyway, here is the latest edition to my ever growing pile of books...

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (March 20, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1599900572


Although this book is over 300 pages, it is a YA book and a fast read... also I quite enjoyed it! I swear, I wish we had many of these YA authors when I was a kid! Not that what we had wasn't good! It was! Just not as many or as varied.
In this book, a young orphaned girl named Creel, who is living with a poor aunt is offered to the local dragon, hoping that a knight might come to Creel's aid will want to marry the rescued maiden. What's not expected is that Creel meets and befriends the local dragon . She then heads to the city, hoping to start a dress shop Along the way, she meets new dragons and receives a mysterious pair of slippers, which begins to change everything.
This is yet another super piece of story telling, picking up speed as the story goes on until the final ending, which brings a smile to your face. This book would probably be enjoyed by girls rather than boys, and having been one of those once, I too enjoyed it.
As far as I can tell this is a stand-alone book.. which seems to be a rare thing lately! heh.

3 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Pat, you say you are a slow reader...Well, not by my standards! lol...It seems to me you read at least two books a week...(maybe more)...Which I think is phenomenol....!
Is it me or is that cover picture a bit strange....?

1:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi: strange? not sure how you mean. Not the best looking dragon thats for sure lol

2:03 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

my 4 year old grandaughter told me a story about dragons and damsels (which I video taped) when we were visiting.

The princess got very old but still lives with the dragon -- and the gold pieces.

A fairly mixed up story -- but it made me think of you.

(Karmyn didn't want to post the video because she needs to keep the kids privacy)

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home