My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Last Dragon


The Last Dragon by: Silvana De Mari


Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Miramax; Reprint edition (October 2, 2007)
ISBN-10: 1423104056




(review by amazon)


Yorsh is the last of his kind, an elf child in a world that despises elves. He seeks warmth, food, and shelter but has found only cold, rain, and despair. When he meets two unlikely companionships-humans who help him in spite of their prejudices-Yorsh learns of a prophecy concerning the last dragon and the last elf: when these two break the circle there will be a new beginning.


The trio experience a host of comical misunderstandings that offset the dangerous situations they encounter in the Dark Mountains. Almost by chance, Yorsh stumbles across the dragon, but he finds that fulfilling the prophecy is steeped in complications.


The second half of the book, set 13 years later, deals with these challenges. Yorsh guesses the identity of the human orphan girl before it is revealed and champion her role in the struggle. The solution to the prophecy is wrenching, but young fantasy fans will appreciate the many humorous touches and get caught up in this tale of strength and sacrifice


I am trying to figure out how I actually feel about this book.


On one hand, as I read.. I enjoyed it. On the other hand... when I set it down I did not have that feeling of: maybe I'll read just one more chapter each time I saw the book. So, although I enjoyed the book..at the same time, I don't think it's a book I will read over, like many of my favorite books.


This is a fairy tale. I didn't feel the closeness to the characters as I do in many books that I read.. but it was a good story. Some life's lessons learned, or in the case of us elderly.. reminded of. There were some comical parts that made me smile.. and some sad parts that.. well.. made me sad. ... and it is a book I think my grandson would enjoy. So I guess I'd say.. it's a good book, but just wasn't my thing.


3 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I had to smile when I saw that little angel in the photo. When I was a little kid I would buy my mom one of those for Christmas every year, in fact I think I've given her that exact same one. I don't know if she ever liked them or not, but she had quite a big collection of them...she still does, so they can't be too bad :) Maybe I'll get her one again this year as a throwback to childhood. It's probably been a good 10 years since the last one I've given her.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

"He seeks warmth, food, and shelter but has found only cold, rain, and despair."

I know this feeling a little too well. Psshh...this Thanksgiving as a matter of fact.

Hope you and your brother enjoyed a great holiday ;-)

4:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yep.. might be a good year to return to some tradions!

kiyotoe: oh my, I hope whatever is bothering you doesn't last long.. I think on holidays we always wish they were as they were when we were younger..

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home