My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Two Down.. one to go


Fatal Revenant


Author: Stephen R Donaldson


Hardcover: 640 pages
Publisher: Putnam Adult (October 9, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0399154469



Wow, this one took me some time to read! Not only is it long, but the pages are filled to the brim!


I've waited for this book since the release of The Runes of the Earth in 2004! (hello?! can we say a lo-o-o-o-o-ong wait?!) And unfortunately, it will be just as long for the third and final book.


I have to tell you... from the beginning, when I read the very first book of this series, Lord Fouls Bane, I was hooked. Hooked on the land, the people with all their varied "powers", and of course Covenant's plight. Along the way, Donaldson gave me some lifelong friends from his characters; I can never forget the giant Saltheart Foamfollower, what a great character with his own story to tell (which was very heart felt) and of course a name I cannot forget. The series continued with The Illearth War and The Power That Preserves.. I was thrilled with the entire series.


In the years that followed Donaldson came out with a sequel.. yet another trilogy. The Wounded Land, The One Tree and White Gold Wielder. Was I a happy camper? You betcha!!


Many years passed and in 2004 Donaldson came out with yet another in the series, The Runes of the Earth. Since many of my favorite characters would no longer be in this series, I wondered if he could capture me again. Hesitantly, I purchased the book... happily, I found that, indeed, he could take me back to the land to find some old and some new characters that would make me devour the book!


Then I waited once again.. seemingly forever.


When Fatal Revenant arrived I couldn't wait to get to it. I needed to know what was going to happen next, and how would they accomplish it! And so I read... sometimes swiftly.. sometimes slowly.


For the first time in this entire series of books I felt some disappointment. At times I was feeling as if this were a really long "filler" book. Although there was action at every turn I felt some was unnecessary and that the book was stretched out too far, which created some slow reading.. (overkill?) Considering the length of the book I had hoped more would happen, which I know sounds strange but it felt like very little really got accomplished in this book. And there was one other thing that sorta bothered me.. I felt like Mr. Donaldson wanted everyone to know how much he had grown as a writer through the years and so he injected many more words that the average person wouldn't even know the meaning of. (but of course could figure out due to what was going on). This I have to say disturbs me. I will admit I am not the brightest bulb in the pack (not even close) but I didn't seem to see this in his other books.... and it doesn't impress me. From book one, I have always felt that Mr. Donaldson is one of those really good writers, obviously, or I wouldn't have kept reading his books, he needs no reason to try to impress his readers... he did that long ago.


That being said, this is not a book for someone to pick up if they haven't read his books about Thomas Covenant. There are many referrals to names and places and incidents that occurred during the past, and they would only be lost on a new reader.


I am not going to actually review this book, it's enough to say that I wouldn't have missed it for anything... and if you are following this last series, it's definitely a must read! Any disappointments are small... I will say one last thing... about the ending... ARGH!!! I can't believe he left me hanging yet again!!!!!


Although I wish this book contained more, in the movement forward, I wouldn't have missed reading it for anything... and I am looking forward to the final installment!! (Pahleeeze, Mr Donaldson, write fast! )

1 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

This series sounds so good. I put the very first book down on my wishlist awhile ago, but I keep hesitating to buy it because it's one of those looooong series...but it sounds well worth it. I hope that he delivers for you with the next book and he's not taking a turn for the worst!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home