My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oldies but Goodies


Down -- steadily down it crept. I took a frenzied pleasure in contrasting its downward with its lateral velocity. To the right -- to the left -- far and wide -- with the shriek of a damned spirit; to my heart with the stealthy pace of the tiger! I alternately laughed and howled as the one or the other idea grew predominant.
Down -- certainly, relentlessly down! It vibrated within three inches of my bosom! I struggled violently, furiously, to free my left arm. This was free only from the elbow to the hand. I could reach the latter, from the platter beside me, to my mouth, with great effort, but no farther. Could I have broken the fastenings above the elbow, I would have seized and attempted to arrest the pendulum. I might as well have attempted to arrest an avalanche!
Down -- still unceasingly -- still inevitably down! I gasped and struggled at each vibration. I shrunk convulsively at its every sweep. My eyes followed its outward or upward whirls with the eagerness of the most unmeaning despair; they closed themselves spasmodically at the descent, although death would have been a relief, oh! how unspeakable! Still I quivered in every nerve to think how slight a sinking of the machinery would precipitate that keen, glistening axe upon my bosom. It was hope that prompted the nerve to quiver -- the frame to shrink. It was hope -- the hope that triumphs on the rack -- that whispers to the death-condemned even in the dungeons of the Inquisition.
Edgar Alan Poe: The Pit and the Pendulum

Did that creep you out? Well, it's that time of year ....
If that isn't enought maybe a movie will do it for you. It's closing in on Halloween and you know what that means....night fright type of movies are all over our televisions...
Carl, over at Stainless Steel Droppings, noted some of his favorite movies for Halloween time, and I thought I'd jump on his wagon and add some of the type of movies I look forward to during October.
You'll notice that they are all ancient movies. As I told Carl, they are my old, old friends. Movies that scared the doo doo out of me when I was a kid, but now I look forward to the fact that at least some of them will show up while we wait for Halloween.
I couldn't make this short list without having some Turhan Bey movies! Although I love him dearly in movies like Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, he also made horror movies...

Would there really be a Halloween without Boris Karloff?... mmmm, nope I don't think so! Boris was the King of Horror back in the day. And to a big extent.. he still is.

I loved Lon Chaney Jr. Your heart just went out to the poor guy having to live with the fact he knew he'd change into a Werewolf on every full moon.

.. And then there's Bela. Bela, Bela, Bela, what can I say? Ahhh, the children of the night... welcome.

There are many newer movies that would make me have nightmares, but I think I'll leave them for the young. While I sit back and watch some old friends.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

I would actually love to see those old movies. They are so... creepy in a graceful kind of way that modern movies never seem to achieve. Most horror movies these days rely on gore, and I prefer subtlety.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Great list of old films. I suppose I can forgive you for leaving out Vincent Price. ;) I've seen several, but not all that you have listed here.

Another favorite classic that I like to watch this time of year is Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace. That is great stuff. Bob Hope in Ghostbreakers is another favorite.

3:21 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am familiar with most of these films, Pat...(Being quite a bit older than you...) These are really wonderful scary films....

Two films that come to mind that don't really fit the Halloween :scary", but are scary in their own ways never-the-less,
DEVIL DOLL....This is a Great One! Lionel Barrymore...it was the first film I remember using the idea of teeny tiny people---inn this case dolls that could come to life and do what the inventor/creator wanted them to do....These were fantastic special effects for the time---1930's....and that leads to mt secnod scary movie, again, not Halloween scary, "THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN...which followed after Develi Doll by 12 or 15 tears...(I could be off there) But they both involved "minitures" with BIG people & things....It was quite scary towards the end....Do you remember this one? It was classic, too, in it's own way.

4:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Nymeth: I'm not the biggest on gore either lol.. but special effects that old movies didn't have sure can make things look real!

Carl: whellll lol.. I was only going to do "the big 3" of Lugosi, Karloff, and Chaney..but my love for Turhan Bey wouldn't let me leave him out LOL.

Hi Naomi: I remember the Incredible Shrinking Man but don't know if I ever saw Devil Doll..
Heck I remember only peeking over a pillow at King Kong and through chairs in the theater at Creature from the Black Lagoon!.. and those weren't even that scary!! lol

6:45 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I love some of the one's that you've mentioned Pat and Carl's mention of Arsenic and Old Lace is another one of my favorites. Megan introduced me to all of these old movies. She's a huge fan the old black and whites. My favorites have become the old Hitchcocks. Spellbound, Suspicion, Shadow of a Doubt, Vertigo, and Rope are some of my favorite movies ever now! I'm craving old movies now!

11:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: actually 2 "newer" ones I still like are Rosemary's Baby and the original "the Omen"!! (I still can't watch the guy get his head cut off though lol)

6:33 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

Forgive me, but black and white horror movies just don't do it for me. Black and white movies in general are much more dramatic in my opinion (just watched Streetcar Named Desire for the first time last week),

but the scary movies just seem kinda..... not scary?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Remy, my male cat, is sitting here reading this post and shaking in his paws, Deslily! ;)

6:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kiyotoe: I think todays viewers expect the gore and special effects to be scared. I've seen the old b&w for so many years that now it's more a "gothic story"..but I like seeing the old stars.

Lee: Ooooo! Remy a WereCat? hehe

6:12 AM  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Good choices. I like the old Universal films. I enjoy the black and white for horror. I'd rather be frightened than grossed out.

8:58 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

stewart: ohhh me tooooo! lol

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home