My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Favorite Book..or 2..or 3..or 4

Chris over at Stuff as Dreams are made On is hosting a giveaway for some books. The way to enter is to do as he asks below:

In order to be entered for the drawing, tell me two of your favorite books in the comments. You can even write your own post about it if you'd like and post your link in the comments...it'll be fun to share our favorites with each other.

The problem is, as anyone who reads more than a book a year will say, there are always more than 2 favorite books! I'll try to put them in three categories: old books, newer books, and newest books.. that's the best I can do, for there are many books that I really love... so much so that I've already read them more than once and I know (without doubt) I will read once again!

I feel overwhelmed when I say that of the older books, there are many I would never give away or not read over again. Among them are:

The first 6 Pern books by Anne McCaffrey. That would be Dragon Flight, Dragon Quest, The White Dragon and then 3 smaller books, DragonSong, DragonSinger, and DragonDrums. Of course if you don't like Dragons, my advice would be not to bother to read any of them..heh. The best part about her books is that besides the obvious (the magnificent dragons) she has a really great cast of characters. I mean a GREAT cast! She gives them all a turn to shine and if you don't feel you know these characters it would amaze me.

Another series (sorry, but most of what i read winds up a series!) is Dragonlance, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Most notably the first 6 books (but there are more!) They would be: Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning, Time of the Twins, War of the Twins and Test of the Twins. As I have long ago learned, it's the characters (both good and bad) that make me return to reread these books. I even replaced them all to hardback books when my paperbacks were turning yellow and brittle.. that should tell you how much they mean to me!

I guess I can't go on if I don't mention J.R.R Tolkiens, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings... since that is the series of books that got me forever hooked on Fantasy! Could it have been that during the darkest hours anyone could imagine that good would come shining through again? I don't know... but it could well be that books such as these always make me hang on to the last thread of hope.

Since I've already gone overboard I will add two more series that I would be heart broken without.. David Eddings, the Belgarian series: Pawn of Prophecy, Queen of Sorcery, Magicians Gambit, Castle of Wizardry and Enchanters End Game. (I was in love with Belgarth, what more can I say?)

And Terry Brooks Shannara Series: The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and the Wishsong of Shannara. Although in the beginning they were accused of ripping off Tolkiens books, I found the characters to my liking and have always liked this series.

Ok.. so that's some of the old books...

Some of the newer books would be.. well.. I have to say the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling, even if it does span from "newer to new". Although they were listed as young adult books I greatly enjoyed this series. I think they would be considered both adult and YA to be honest with you. I tend to think that besides language and sex in a book that they tend to label it YA when the story surrounds a young person.

I'm going to jump ahead to the newest books, .. just because this list is already ridiculous!

Of the newest books (ones I've read this past year) I would say one that really caught me by surprise is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. This was certainly not a book I would see off hand and say.. oh this sounds good... but I read it for Carls Halloween Challenge and fell in love with the book! Once again, the characters are great, the story itself is fantastic and there just enough mystery to make you not able to put the book down!

This past year has also directed me into a number of YA books that I have found to be outstanding and have all intentions on reading again! Some of these are:

The Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke. Inkheart, Inkspell and soon to be released Inkdeath. This series probably tops the YA list I have.. I absolutely loved it!

Another YA series that captured me is the Septimus Heap books by Angie Sage. Magyk, Flyte, and Physik. I am beginning to think the YA authors have much more original storytelling than do many adult authors!

Just one more and I'll end this list!

Here There Be Dragons by James A Owen. Book 2 (Search for the Red Dragon) is to be released in January of 2008. I loved this first book... and I'm adding it to this list because I have high hopes that the next book will be every bit as good if not better.. now, I could be wrong, but I think this will become one of the better YA series out there for both YA and adults.

Ok.. there you have it Chris... is that enough favorite books for you?

I realize one doesn't have to be a really avid reader to have a favorite book or two (or three) and maybe if you aren't an avid reader..now might be the time to dig out that favorite book and remind yourself of why it stayed in your mind all this time?.. If you do that, please.. post about it and let others know how it made you feel to be with old friends once again!


Postnote:

For anyone interested, who has ever read the Pern series of books.. it looks like we may get a Pern Movie!!!! I found this on Anne McCaffrey's website !!!! If I was sure I wouldn't break my other foot I'd be jumping up and down right now!!!

As Regarding the Pern Movie
October 22nd, 2007 Archives
We’ve been getting tons and tons of mail asking about the upcoming Pern film. Some of you haven’t seen the press release, which is here, but you have reminded us that there hasn’t been a lot of public discussion about it since then. Everyone (including us) would like to see a movie of the highest quality brought to the screen, as quickly as possible! We have a great deal of faith in Copperheart Entertainment who, at this moment, are in discussions with talent and financiers. As soon as we can say more, we most definitely will. We promise!

5 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

My goodness Pat...You are truly an avid reader and I admire that sooooo much! I have not read of the books you mentioned, and that in itself is not so startling, and yet, it is, too! I read so litt;e these days, and for a long time now, and I am not sure why exacatly....I use to read a great deal---Not in comparison to you, my dear, but for me, it was a great deal....
I think it is truly wonderful that you read as much as you do....Thanks for sharing all of these fascinating sounding books.

1:04 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I forgot to tell you, I got Here, There be Dragons in the mail the other day! I've bought so many books this year on your recommendation :p Inkheart's another one I bought on your recommendation..I think I'll read both of those for the Once Upon A Time challenge next year. Great picks! I haven't read the majority of those! I was never a big "high fantasy" reader and I think it was mainly because I didn't know which series to pick...there's so many of them! But now that I know you I have someone to point me in the right direction ;) I think I'm going to have to try out McCaffrey's Dragon series.

2:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi: lately I have read much more than normal.. some of those listed I first read many many years ago!

Chris:as for McCaffrey's books.. well I know first hand you like dragons so that's a plus.. She has a good story behind good characters so hopefully they would suit you!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

We have such similar tastes in reading that I've made a note of the Dragonlance titles and plan to add them to my 2008 tbr plan.

I agree entirely about the first 6 Pern books. The three Harper Hall books are among my favourite ever books and I would never part with them. I'm so thrilled that there's to be a Pern movie - I didn't know!

I think I'll have to give in and read The Thirteenth Tale too. Just waiting for it to come out in paperback in the UK.

Thanks for a great post.

7:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: the good thing is that the dragonlance books are out in paperback because they are old lol..
I was shocked to read that McCaffrey is finally going to allow her books to become a movie! I'm betting they do the first 3 books ..each as a movie..sure hope they don't try to squeeze all 3 into one movie!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home