My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

They're Creepy 'n' Spooky 'n' all Together Ooky!

Know this about me.. I.am.not.a.joiner.

I say this because, I have so little of my own life, that committing to anything just takes away from what time I do have for myself.

But I have decided to join Carl's RIP book Peril Challenge.... that being said, I will also say that I am doing this because I know it's a friendly challenge... by that I mean.. , there's no reason I have to finish it. Knowing this makes all the difference to me.

I am a slow reader. Partly because.. ummm because I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack? And partly because, If I read fast, I tend not to really read every word, nor do I get to enjoy a book to it's fullest. So.. I read what I read, at what speed I read.. which is to say... I read to enjoy myself.

Ok.. so... let's get this party going shall we?

It is indeed time for the 2007 R.I.P. (Readers Imbibing Peril) Autumn Reading Challenge, or R.I.P. II, for short. Though the ‘official’ start date for Readers Imbibing Peril is not until September 1st, I decided to accede to public demand and get the word out to you a few weeks early.

As in last year’s inaugural R.I.P. Autumn Reading Challenge, R.I.P. II is a September 1st through October 31st celebration of all tales gothic, eerie, creepy, and dark. Tales that one reads in the dark of night, experiencing delicious shivers of terror and suspense at each creak of the floorboards or each gust of wind. As in previous challenges the definition for what type of books fit into this category will be very broad. I would venture to say that there is something for everyone that could count as a R.I.P. book.

And so goes the opening statements for Carl's second annual RIP book reading Challenge! For much more information on the Challenge itself click on the link and read.. read.. read!

I have to say that this catagory is NOT what I generally read, and what little I have is too soon for rereading Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. (both are still too fresh in my mind)

So.. what to do? what to do? Well, I've given this much consideration and this is what I've come up with... so far...

I would like to do his Read 4 books Peril but I'm having difficulty coming up with 4 good ones.. and ones that I think I will at least enjoy reading. So far this is what I have...

Gil's All Fright Diner: Starred Review. Something Evil (that's with a capital E) is stalking Gil's All Night Diner in Martinez's terrific debut, a comic horror-fantasy novel. Heading the delightfully eccentric cast are buddies Earl (aka the Earl of Vampires) and Duke (aka the Duke of Werewolves), who are looking for a place to eat as they drive through Rockwood, a small desert community besieged by cosmically weird stuff.

When I read the review of this, I thought.. hey, now this I can handle! It actually sounds funny! Of course I am hoping like heck that it isn't like some movie reviews that I've seen that look funny, but once there.. you find you've already seen all the funny parts!

In The Company of Ogres: Never Dead Ned is an accountant whose only talent is self-resurrection. Chosen to lead the notorious Ogre Company, Ned ingratiates himself bydying before the senior officers can finish conspiring to killhim,and comes back to life just in time to be caught up in a battle with Rucka, the world's most powerful demon.

Seeing as Martinez was sticking with humor I figured I'd try In The Company of Ogres too. To be honest here he had me at "Never Dead Ned" .. loved the name, so I ordered both of these books. Now I just hope they get here fast!!

Dragons of the Highlord Skies: Kitiara's path takes an unexpected turn, leading her to Dargaard Keep to face the dread Lord Soth.

Highlord Skies if "iffy" at best as a book for this challenge. I do know the book will contain Lord Soth.. who is a very evil knight.. and very dead. I know.. it's pushing the limits. But it's an "alternative"..

Wild Wood: A young artist returns to her cabin in the deep woods of Canada to concentrate on her illustrations.But somehow, strange andbeautiful creatures are slipping into her drawings and sketches. The world of Faerie is reaching out to her for help-and she may be its last chance for survival.

I don't know if this fits either! sheesh. I've not read any de Lint books before but it seemed creepy that these things would be slipping into her drawings... taking in to consideration that occasionally I draw.. that would creep me out! Yeah, I think maybe this one fits after all!

Wizards: Veteran fantasists weave a variety of imaginative spells in this fine anthology of 18 original wizardry-themed tales. Neil Gaiman's charming opener, "The Witch's Headstone," introduces a boy raised by the dead and offers a sneak peek at a novel-in-progress. An Icelandic bride in modern Maine makes magic in Elizabeth Hand's outstanding "Winter's Wife." Mary Rosenblum, Patricia A. McKillip, Nancy Kress, Terry Dowling and Gene Wolfe notably conjure up diverse and indelible, coming-of-age stories featuring contemporary teens discovering their true natures. Garth Nix successfully mixes English legends in "Holly and Iron." The prophet Elijah appears as the "wizard" of Jane Yolen's "Slipping Sideways ThroughEternity." What goes around comes around, even for wizards and monsters in Jeffrey Ford's "The Manticore Spell." Tad Williams, Peter S. Beagle and Orson ScottCard contribute indifferent stories, but overall this magical brew will enchant young adult readers and their elders as well.

Now Wizards fits the bill... and it's a number of creepy type stories. I don't suppose I could count each story individual huh? (I hadda try!)

The Thirteen Tale: Settle down to enjoy a rousing good ghost story with Diane Setterfield's debut novel, The Thirteenth Tale. Setterfield has rejuvenated the genre with this closely plotted, clever foray into a world of secrets, confused identities, lies, and half-truths. She never cheats by pulling a rabbit out of a hat; this atmospheric story hangs together perfectly.

now this sounded pretty good and it fit ..I'd really like to try this one but I've run out of money!.. I put it on the Wish List.. but I doubt I will have the money or order it in time to read... I found the title on Carls blog and checked it out.. it actually sounds interesting! Not my usual cup of tea, but interesting enough that I'd like to try it.

But I am getting strapped for money here. I already bought more than my allotment and I have to "not spend" so that I can afford to go to the Chiller autograph show the beginning of October and enjoy the company of some terrific artists!

Soooo, folks.. if you think you'd like to join the Challenge (and I really think you should! Just wait until you see all the wonderful reviews of books that comes out of one of Carl's reading challenges!!) .. well..

you'd better get to it before you run into spiders and monsters and vampires, without reading about them!

Thank you Carl for hosting such great reading challenges!


10 Comments:

Blogger Kucki68 said...

I enjoyed Company of Ogres. Never Dead Ned is a great character and the others are fun as well. Especially Nibbly Ned...

9:01 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Glad to see you are joining in!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Yay!!!! I know of many fantasy books that fall well within the limits of this challenge (you've picked some good ones) that I knew you could find some things that you enjoyed reading and still be able to participate.

Nice choices. The Martinez books are ones I have had on my radar for awhile now. I look forward to your reviews.

I'm so glad you are joining in! And by the way, my wife's name is Mary. :) Very fun!

9:29 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kucki68: Ohhh, thanks for letting me know! Now I look forward to them even more!

Kailana: I'm not a good "reviewer" but I'll try. I always am afraid someone will buy a book because I say it's good and then they don't like it! Guilt!

Carl V: heh.. sorry Mary!
This gives me something to do while I wait for the autograph show in Oct! lol

11:08 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Yippeee!!! I'm so glad you're joining in Pat!! I'm reading Wizards too! Just added to the list last night...Like I needed to add another book :p And you're reading a deLint! Double Yippee! Those Martinez books sound really cool and I love the covers. I'm going to see what you think of them, then I may end up picking up those myself ;)

2:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: ah yeah I'm sure you needed more to read! lol.. I don't know how cool the Martinez books will be..but they sound like they are done with humor..and I can use that about now. I'll let you know. I have to get them first! I ordered them from Bookcloseouts.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm glad to see you're joining! Like you said, it's a friendly challenge, so there's no real obligation to finish. I like the sound of the books you selected, and I look forward to your thoughts on them!

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you're joining in! :)

Great selection of books there. I think I really am going to have to add Wizards to my list and grab it off my bookcase when I visit the house next...

2:55 AM  
Blogger Michelle Liebgott-Osinga said...

I love the cover of "In The Company of Ogres." "The Wild Wood" sounds great; I will have to keep that one in mind.

2:59 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah! Glad to see you are joining in. I suck royally at challenges, because life always seems to get in the way. Of course, that doesn't seem to stop me from joining up!

What a cool list of books! I'm looking forward to your reviews!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home