My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Good news.. and Sad news






Anyone who knows me well knows that I love movies every bit as much as I love reading. Though I may not be able to get to the movies anymore, that doesn't tarnish my love of them. With that in mind....




I just read over at The Fantasy Review that there are the beginnings of a movie for Terry Brook's book Elfstones of Shannara!! This thrilled me! I know that many didn't like Terry's books because the Sword of Shannara was "so much like lord of the rings".. but I found that his characters eventually ruled and much of those thoughts went by the wayside. With each following book it just got better. So I am hoping this comes to pass.. and it looks like it will. But like everything else, by the time it gets made and release I'll have forgotten all about how long I've been waiting.




(artwork by Darrell Sweet)




Screen adaptation by Eldon Thompson who's own books include: The Crimson Sword and Obsidian Key. There's a full interview with Eldon Thompson over at A Dribble of Ink that you should read if you are interested.




******************************************************




On a different topic: I was saddened to hear of the passing of Merv Griffin. (article on his life and passing found here.)







I think I watched his show from it's concept! Every night at 8 pm, I'd sit and enjoy his show. I even went to see a live show in NY once! I was married at the time, my husband agreed to go but stated: "as long as Selma Diamond is not a guest!".




Selma, had a voice that some had difficulty listening to. Some might remember her from Night Court...anyway, we went.. and....... yep, you guessed it Selma was one of the guests!




Anyway.. I liked Merv..and I'll miss him.

7 Comments:

Blogger Aidan Moher said...

Hello!

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for linking to my interview with Eldon!

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

~Aidan
A Dribble of Ink

12:58 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've been wanting to read the Shannara books for awhile...I guess I have a good reason to know!

That's so sad about Merv Griffin...I hadn't heard about that. He was a true American icon...Funny Selma Diamond story though!

1:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Aidan: credit goes to the interviewer as well as the person being interviewed. You asked many question I would have wanted asked! and you made me like him because of those questions without even knowing who he was! (and I will read his book now!)

Chris: Oh..great.. like you need more books to read! argh! LOL.. I did like the original trilogy though. But will admit my first thoughts when reading book one (the sword of shannara) was that it was a rip off of Tolkien!..those thoughts disappeared for me along the way..not sure how far into it though. His characters took on their own identities and from then on I really liked them.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link from all of your sites. I am glad you found something I did useful.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

It seems that a lot of books are on their way to being adapted into movies these days. Just yesterday I went to the movies and saw a poster for a movie of Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" - I had no idea that a movie was being made! Now I need to actually read the series before I watch it :P

7:23 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Remy: you have a great blog! I read you alot!

Nymeth: yeah well.. like Carl's big discussion..it seems there are more sci-fi / fantasy being made into movies but they aren't being marketed! There must be a reasoning behind the non marketing but it sure is a mystery that they must be making money without the marketing end..

7:29 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

I just saw this too and I'm wondering what it's going to turn into. I could be a good movie with a good enough script, but I don't have especially high expectations.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home