My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Inspiration

My girlfriend Annie emailed me today with a link. This link.

It's a very interesting article about how the Harry Potter books inspired a boy with dyslexia to want to read.. (and for many kids over the years, the HP books have been inspiring kids to read.)

It's a nice way of saying: No matter what the book / story is, if it inspires kids (of any age) to read, the book can't be called bad.

It's something I highly agree with.

After reading the article it made me want to look up the definition of " Inspiration"...

It means: Motivation / stimulation / encouragement / muse / idea / insight / brainwave.

That's a mighty powerful list! And, of course it pertains to many things. Reading is just one of the good things that come from "Inspiration".

It also made me wonder...

Have you ever been inspired? Did it make you read? or write? or draw? or cook? or sew? Who or what inspired you? What was it that finally made you do something that you probably always wanted to do anyway?

Wouldn't it be nice if we all knew how to say the right words to encourage someone?

Or to motivate someone to bigger and better things?

..Sometimes it can be as simple as a kind word.

... it's worth a few moments of thought don't ya think?

7 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I find that I'm constantly inspired in life. I was inspired by a counselor that I saw as a teenager to become a counselor for teens myself...I hope that one day I can inspire others to do the same.

You've certainly inspired me when it comes to writing! When I read Kesterwood, I think of the joy that you must feel in having written something so wonderful, and I'd really like to experience that as well. So it's writers like you that keep me motivated for things like National Novel Writing Month!

I think that J.K. Rowling gets a bad rap sometimes. People like to pick on her for reasons unknown to me, but look at all the good she's done for young readers all over the world. So many kids are reading now that never would have read before. And so many young adult authors are getting exposure that never would've gotten exposure before. All because of this one woman. I think she's great and the Harry Potter books are incredible...both for their stories and for what they've done for reading!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I think anything that inspires a child to pick up a book and read it, is wonderful.

I've been inspired many times, by people, words, music, paintings, nature...to many times to list. :) I hope I never cease to be inspired.

I have to admit though, I am getting thoroughly sick of all the hype surrounding Harry Potter at the moment....it's all getting a bit "overboard"...but that's just my own very humble opinion! ;)

But I guess it's better than all the bad news we see and hear every day.

11:30 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: it's still a wonder how something someone else may say or do that clicks like a light switch inside. It's almost as if some people have magic in them to be able to say or do the right thing at the right time to have such consequences.. it's be nice if we all could tap into it.

As for "bad rap" for Rowlings..one can blame the "overkill" on the media.. I honestly think that even without it all she'd be selling as many books as she does with it.

Lee: totally agree with the amount of hype they give this book.. but at the same time... it's far better then listening to Paris Hilton !

9:41 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm not a fan of the HP books, but I am a fan of kids reading, so anything that gets them to discover the love of reading is good in my book. I don't really weep for JK, she's said some really stupid things over the years which raised the ire of some readers (but who doesn't say stupid things sometimes?), but considering the millions of dollars she now has I don't feel sorry for her! ;)

11:35 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: I am Sooooo with you on this one! Though I do love the books.... and I'm thrilled that they have made more people read... the author sure has changed from her meager beginnings. Maybe that's it in a nutshell.. so much success.. being richer then the Queen herself.. there are many who don't handle "success" well.. and my feelings are that she is one of them. But I will never deny that she's done a fabulous job on the HP books...it just sometimes irks me that I am helping her get richer. Guess we just have to weigh the good and the bad... and in the case of reading books HP is a good one.

11:41 AM  
Blogger SQT said...

Oh dear God, I'd much rather listen to Harry Potter hype than anything about Paris Hilton. And hey, I pre-ordered the book, so who am I to judge?

I'm freakin' contrary. I'm inspired to do things when someone tells me I can't. The minute you tell me something isn't possible I'm determined to prove it is.

6:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

SQT: lol I preordered it too lol I tried going to a books store when one came out.. ONE TIME! (though I will admit, it is a kick being around huge fans of the same thing, like going to a trek con!)

wow.. you are good SQT.. I believe others if they say I can't do something.. I've always been the one wrong.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home