My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Katharine Hepburn

Had she lived longer, Katharine Hepburn would have been 100 years old this month.
My girlfriend Ann, reminded me of this fact, and the fact that John Wayne would have been 100 also.. Annie posted about one of her favorite actors, John Wayne, right " here "
Katharine Hepburn is one of my all time favorite actresses, so I thought I would do a little post about her here.
Birth: 12 May 1907, Hartford, Connecticut, USA more
Date of Death:29 June 2003, Old Saybrook, Connecticut, USA. (natural causes)

Born May 12, 1907 in Hartford, Connecticut, she was the daughter of a doctor and a suffragette, both of whom always encouraged her to speak her mind, develop it fully, and exercise her body to its full potential. (I would say her parents were most successful!)
Kate Hepburn (as she was often called) made 52 movies... starting in 1932 in A Bill of Divorcement and ending with One Christmas (made for tv) in 1994.
In between were such movies as:
Little Women (1933),
Mary of Scotland (1936),
Stage Door (1937),
Bringing up Baby (1938),
The Philadelphia Story (1940),
Dragon Seed (1944),
Adam's Rib (1949),
African Queen (1951),
Pat and Mike (1952),
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967),
The lion in Winter (1968),
Rooster Cogburn (1975),
On Golden Pond (1981),
and The Man Upstaris (made for tv 1992).
Some, if not all of those, should ring a bell with you. If they don't .. well.. You've missed out on some really great movies and a fantastic actress.

Kate began her long career doing plays. In 1928 she first appeared in a play called "The Big Pond" and went on to appear in some 20 plays, including "The Philadelphia Story", later to become the movie.

Though many books are written about her, Katharine wrote her own Biography, called:
Me : Stories of My Life

(She also wrote: "The Making of the African Queen". )
Young or old-er... she was one hellava'n actress!


I will always stop to watch a movie with Katharine Hepburn in it. I'm never disappointed.
There are a number of Kate's movies grouped together for sale, if you are interested, check them out. Here. Here. and Here. (the last one being the Tracy/ Hepburn movies) and lastly an A&E Biography of Kate.
If you've never watched her... maybe it's time that you did.
And if you have seen her before... maybe it's time to see her again.
....'till next time....

5 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

She was so beautiful and talented. I have seen several, though not nearly all, of her films. I think my favorite, at least right now, is Bringing Up Baby. Just showed that to my daughter for the first time a few weeks ago. She is so fantastically, whimsically funny in that show and I love her chemistry with Cary Grant.

11:27 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: Good choice there, I love Bringing up Baby too!

2:53 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I love Katharine Hepburn. The Philadelphia Story and The Lion in Winter are two of my favorite movies. It was so sad to see her go. What an amazing person.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I've always been a fan of Hepburns and I think I've seen all of her movies at some time or the other and many of them more than twice. I have both of those bios on her, together with "The Private Life of Katharine Hepburn" which is a coffee-table book about her latter years, with many photographs. I bought it back in the early nineties.

She used to always say her birthday was in November, making her a Scorpio, when in fact, as you say, it was in May. She did that, it is claimed, in honour of her brother who committed suicide.

12:18 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Carl.. oh yeah Lion In Winter is another fav. of mine!

Lee:yes, I remember reading about how she used he brother's b'day as her own too.. I guess it was a way to cope... sad.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home