My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 28, 2006

TheWalk of Fame..

Hi-de-ho, and welcome to Kermit's Star on the Walk of Fame in Hollywood California!

I thought since I talked about Mann's Chinese Theater earlier that I would make a post about the Walk of Fame. It won't be the first time I mentioned the Walk of Fame.. I may have mentioned it here when I talk about DeForest getting his star.
If you ever go to Hollywood it would be impossible to miss the fact that as you walk down the street stars will be under your feet! Any tourist in Hollywood always has a favorite movie star/ television star/ radio star/ recording artist or theatrical star, and they watch as they walk hoping to find their favorites.
In doing a bit or research on the Walk I came upon some Trivia you might be interested in....,
Gene Autry is the only person to have been honored with all five stars.
At Hollywood and Vine, a special "round star" on each of the four corners commemorates the Apollo 11 astronauts. Each astronaut (Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin Aldrin) has a star and there's a joint star for NASA's entire Apollo 11 mission team.

In 2005, companies became eligible for Walk-of-Fame-type stars; the first recipient was Disneyland, in honor of its 50th anniversary. Company awards are on private property near the Walk, and not part of the Walk itself. Companies must have a strong Hollywood presence and be at least fifty years old to qualify for this award. Entertainment industry publications Variety and The Hollywood Reporter are among the planned recipients.

There are two film actors named Harrison Ford with stars. The first was Harrison Ford ( a silent film actor in the 1910s & 20s) whose star is in front of the Musso & Frank restaurant at 6665 Hollywood Blvd. The second is the present-day Harrison Ford, whose star can be found in front of the Kodak Theater at 6801 Hollywood Blvd.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, who were seventeen at the time they were awarded their star, are the youngest celebrities and the only twins to receive a star. They were honored for their contributions to television.

Queen Latifah is the first female hip-hop artist to have a star.

Fictional characters that have stars include Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Woody Woodpecker, Winnie the Pooh, Donald Duck, Godzilla, Pee-wee Herman, Kermit the Frog, C-3PO, Lassie, The Rugrats, The Simpsons and Snow White.

Tommy Bond, whose career spanned 65 years and 72 movies; who portrayed "Butch" in the Little Rascals; and cub reporter Jimmy Olsen in the original "Superman" movies in the 1940s, was denied a "Star" in 1998, but that same year three local disc jockeys received their "Stars". Mr. Bond died September 24, 2005, still without a star. On the same note, neither Academy Award winner Tim Robbins, nor Oscar winner Ruth Gordon (who was in films for over 4 decades) have received "Stars"; yet newcomers such as Ryan Seacrest have received stars.

Of the entire cast of the original Star Trek TV series, only Walter Koenig (Pavel Chekov) does not have a "Star" along the Walk of Fame.

Pat Sajak commented on Wheel of Fortune that his star has the wrong emblem. His emblem is the movie camera when it should be the TV set. He quips on the show that "someone should pry it off and sell it on eBay, it's a collectible!"

All My Children's Susan Lucci, who earned her star in 2005, was the first woman to earn her television star solely on the merits of acting on a soap opera. The first male actor to earn his star in television in the field of soap acting was the late Macdonald Carey of Days of our Lives.

Stolen starsThere have been four stars stolen from the Walk of Fame.
The stars of Jimmy Stewart and Kirk Douglas, which had been removed during a construction project, were stolen from the site on Vine Street. The culprit was a contractor who was later caught with the two damaged and unusable stars, but not until after they had been replaced.

One of Gene Autry's stars was also taken from another construction project. That star was found in Iowa.

On November 27, 2005, thieves sawed Gregory Peck's star out of the sidewalk near Gower. Cameras are now being placed on the walk district to catch thieves.


I happen to have a fairly current listing of over 2,000 names and addresses on the Walk of Fame.. if you have a favorite leave a name in comments and I can tell you if they have a Star and the address it can be located at. (I can't promise a photo as the ones shown here I found by searching images in google)
Oh, and by the way.. DeForest's Star is located at: 7021 Hollywood Blvd. (heh, just thought I'd mention that !)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. I commented on this post on your entry below. That was so low class of me. :)

5:25 PM  
Blogger Bibi said...

Hey this was interesting. I've been to the Hollywood walk many times but learned some things I didn't know!

12:32 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Did you know that the "stars" or their family's/Agents/Studios, etc. PAY for the star? Personallly, I've always thought that was a rather disgusting and shameful thing. PLUS, so much is co-ordinated with the "opening" of a movie or the beginning of some TV show....A Publicists dream...!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

That's a lot of stuff i didn't know. Thanks.

I know i'm a grown man BUT, if I ever happen to stumble upon Kermit the Frog's star, I might just faint! We never let go of those childhood idols. Me and Kermit go waaaaaaaaay back.

This may be a silly question, but does Richard Pryor have a star? You know where it is?

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home