My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Something I love about Summer..

Summer does one good thing... it brings down the prices of fruit!!

I love Kiwi fruit... though I have to admit, it is one ugly looking thing. If one were to see it for the first time and not know about it, I doubt they would ever even try it.

Our food ranking system also qualified kiwi fruit as a very good source of dietary fiber. The fiber in kiwi fruit has also been shown to be useful for a number of conditions. Researchers have found that diets that contain plenty of fiber can reduce high cholesterol levels, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and heart attack. Fiber is also good for binding and removing toxins from the colon, which is helpful for preventing colon cancer. In addition, fiber-rich foods, like kiwi fruit, are good for keeping the blood sugar levels of diabetic patients under control. Kiwi fruit also passed our food ranking test as a good source of the minerals potassium, magnesium, copper and phosphorous.

Yeah.. whatever it says... all I know is that it tastes good!


(Ugly.. ugly.. ugly!)








(but ohhhhh sooooo good to eat!)


The other fruit that comes way down in price that I love is Blueberries!

Pterostilbene (pronounced TARE-oh-STILL-bean), a powerful anti oxidant compound found in blueberries, which is already known to fight cancer, may also help lower cholesterol.

Blueberries are literally bursting with nutrients and flavor, yet very low in calories. Recently, researchers at Tufts University analyzed 60 fruits and vegetables for their anti oxidant capability. Blueberries came out on top

Right,...whatever.. but they are yummy in my tummy! (Winnie the Pooh has nothing on me!)





It does this old heart good when I finally see Blueberries displayed in the bigger containers instead of a slim layer that can't even hold 20 berries! And we won't mention that in the dead of winter those 20 Berries can be priced at 4.99!! (that nearly gives me a stroke even saying it!) Right now the bigger containers are 2 for 5.00... they go on sale for 1.99 each... and before the summer is over they will hit an all time low of .99 a box! I think my eye color goes from Hazel to bright blue during these months of abundance! heh. Oh how I wish they were more affordable during the winter!

I also eat way too many strawberries in the summer, but then who doesn't?

Is it just me? Or do you have a favorite food that is as seasonal as the ones I love?

3 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

Wow you just gave me a reason to eat Kiwi (lowers cholesterol).

I never had neither fruit, but now I am tempted.

The seasonal fruits that I miss are cherries, peaches, and plums. Those are my favorites.

2:49 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

All of it ..love it! I brought home, kiwi, blue berrys, strawberries, watermemlon, catalope and plums yesterday....
now throw popcorn in and i figure i have a balanced diet. Laughing...it is such a good thing...summer.
Thank you for all you words of kindness..and all your smiles you share.
Love TJ

9:26 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love kiwi to..And I don't think they are ugly...I think they are "Exotic"....! And they sure are a pretty color inside!
I have tp get me some Kiwi, right now.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home