My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 04, 2006

I Want What He Has!

Today is an anniversary of sorts... this is my 300th post!! Hard to believe!

Well, yesterday (when I didn't post, heh) I was at the Chiller Con helping my buddy Kevin McCarthy again. I was thrilled to see him. The last time I saw him he said the trip East was getting a bit much and he didn't think he'd be out again, but here he was....and he's thinking of doing another con in NJ in August called The Twilight Zone.. in which he did a few episodes of the television program with the same name, and made an appearance in Twilight Zone the movie. He said we'd email and keep in touch and he'd call me about that one.. if i can afford the taxi's by then (2 weeks after the "break the bank" con) I'll go to help him the busy day (Saturday) again.

Actually, there's one autograph I'd like to get at the Twilight Zone con, but I just don't know I can do the taxi thing and still be paying on the big con.. but Mickey Rooney will be at that one, and to this day i so enjoy watching when him was a kid doing the "Andy Hardy" movies (some of which Judy Garland appeared in), and I adored Lewis Stone, who played his father "Judge Hardy". (as far as I can find out there were 12 Andy Hardy movies made... now there's a collection I'd like to see on DVD!! I 'd get that in a heartbeat!) Anyway.. so.. it's possible I will see dear Kevin yet again this summer!!

Oh, and before I forget, we did discuss the fact that he's filming a movie! He has a part in a movie that will be called "Slipstream".. it was written by Sir Anthony Hopkins (Hannibal himself! Oooooo hahaha) and is being directed by Sir Anthony and of course... it will star Sir Anthony !! Kevin couldn't say enough about how nice Anthony Hopkins is. I was glad to hear that because I love Anthony Hopkins!

When I first saw Kevin, I was a bit surprise to see him using a walker but he gets around fine with it. His spirits are always so high he's a joy to be around. I don't know what it is he has .. maybe it's those energizer bunny batteries.. but whatever it is.. I want what he has! For the most part he had a nice steady flow of customers seeking his autograph and he did well selling.

Of all the people who came by there was one young man that stood out. When he spotted Kevin his mouth dropped open and he grabbed his buddy and shook him and I could see just how exited he was.. he finally approached Kevin with a "oh my god it's really you!".. during the time he spent talking and gasping at him he must have said "OMG" a dozen times! He was absolutely hysterical. Even when he left he stood excitedly talking to his friend and kept looking over at Kevin.. when he finally was gone I leaned over and said, "well, you made that young man happy" and Kevin laughed and mentioned he hadn't seen anyone that excited about meeting him in some time. At 92 he's still got it! (whatever "it" is!)


Kevin stayed busy so I had little time to walk around the convention myself. Until a man who had helped Kevin the day before came by and offered me a break if I needed it. (actually I did.. I had been sitting for 7 hrs straight and a potty break sounded reeeeeeeeally good!) So, I took a break and before I came back I dared to go upstairs to see if I could get a peek at Jonathn Frakes and Brent Spiner.

Well, by the time I got there the lines had finally disappeared and I got in the small room where they were. I listened in to a few conversations they were having with other fans (the best part of any con are the stories) and then got to say hello to them both. I had no intentions of making a purchase since all my funds are being saved for the "con that broke me" (the creations con the end of July) but Brent was nice enough to allow me to take a photo of him, and we even chatted a bit about the series he was in Threshold that just been cancelled and about my friend DeForest and the scene Brent did with him as the 137 yr old Admiral. So that was really nice.


Brent looks spectacular with his white hair!! I don't think it makes him look old (he's only 57) and told him I thought his hair was beautiful and I hoped he didn't have to dye it for a part.. he said he didn't intend to but if he had to he'd let it grow back out right away .. ...

I still don't get it though..how come men get laugh lines and woman get wrinkles... and men get distinguished looking, and woman get gray? sigh... it's just not fair~!

5 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

Hi sweetie :)

Wonderful post. Happy 300th! Kevin McCarthy looks great. He has the best smile. I am such a fan, he could never be anything but wonderful in my eyes. :) Data was my favorite character, so it's so much fun to see a photo of Brent Spiner. He looks really good. It must have been a thrill to have been able to take his photo. Thank you so much for sharing this fun with us. :)

12:11 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I can't get over how wonderful Kevin McC. looks! God Bless him! I'd like what he has, too! (lol)
He really is amazing....
When you are there at these convention things...how can you go 7 hours without a potty break? I mean can't the person do without you for 3 minutes?? I sure would not be able to do that! plus, it's not good for you to go that long without going...!
It amazes me the money that can be nade at these autograph thingy's...A number of members of theatre West, like Betty G., and Lee Meriwether, etc., do them and do very very well for Theatre West...(They donate what they make to Theatre West, which is very generous....)

BTW: Aphids do like cactus and succulants, too...

1:36 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Congrats on the 300th post! I love your convention and Hollywood star stories!

I can't believe how good McCarthy looks! If I didn't already know how old he'd have to be based on how old he was in "Twilight Zone," I'd have guessed that he was in his 70s, but nowhere near 92!

I hope I have that much energy by the time I get to 92...assuming that I do!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Suzanne R said...

I had no idea Kevin McCarthy was 92 -- I used to see him in various shows when I was quite a bit younger (ah well, we're all getting older). ;-) Did you see Jonathan Frakes? I've always thought my son J.D. looks quite a bit like him. Jonathan was one of my favorites! Great shot of Brent Spiner (Data)! He was great, too!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Brent Spiner's 57? REALLY? Wow, I thought he was in his mid 40's. I guess i'm not a good judge when it comes to aging. I'm glad you had a good time.

One of these days I have to visit one of those conventions.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home