My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Fantasy at it's best..

Knightbek's recent post, over at the Wildcat's Lair, was about one of my favorite authors David Eddings and his series of books The Belgaraid. I read these books years ago.. and reread them.. and I know it's time to read them again, that is if i ever finish reading Margaret Weiss books dealing with Dragonlance, (Raistlin, Caramon and Tasslehoff Burrfoot keep getting into trouble!) never ending!!

It's always the characters that keep me reading their stories. Then when they have written about as much as they can using the same characters, they move on.. but for whatever reason, I have great difficulty with their new direction, or their new characters.

I guess it's like old friends. They remain with you and sometimes, there isn't a lot of room for new ones. Or the new ones just don't live up to your expectations. (or a combination of both)

I think we've become really lucky in that special effects for the movies has come far enough to finally engulf "fantasy fiction"! It gives us a chance to see and hear some of the characters we've grown to know so well.


For me, it's the sorcerer's.. magical in many ways, not the least of the fact they do more then anyone in the stories but are old old men! I wish I had even a tiny fraction of their energy!!! And don't they seem to look like a father figure? But "daddy" I sure promise not to tick YOU off!! heh.
























You shall not pass!" ..s'ok with me, heh didn't want to go anyway! Looks sure can be deceiving huh?!
























I think i just lost my appetite for Italian food!






Anyone who can conjure up Dragons Breath... you really want to keep as a friend .. not an enemy!

I feel really lucky that special effects became good enough to put 'fantasy" in it's rightful place. It's so nice because you get to put a face, a voice and even more personality to those you enjoy in books.


The sorcerers will always remain a favorite of mine.. even when the story is focused around other characters such as Bilbo or Frodo.. the name Gandalf whispers in the back of your mind. He's never very far away.


Maybe someday they will make the movie of the Belgariad and a true face will be put to Belgarath... Or they might choose the Dragonlance series and we'd meet Raistlin... not that I'd particularly want to! ..heh.

























But if they make those movies.. you can bet I'll be first in line!! Until then.. the books will carries us into their lands and through their journeys... it's a good place to be.. far away in your mind with some of your favorite friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

Have you seen the movie they made from Mists of Avalon? It's actually a mini series (Like Merlin). That's one of my favorite books, and I really enjoyed seeing how they interpreted the people in the book. Sometimes they are just as I pictured in my mind.. sometimes not {LOL}

4:59 PM  
Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

I don't remember Eddings' work at all, if I ever even read any. But I am extremely fond of the "tricky old man" wizards. I think you'd like Fayubi, although he doesn't look the part at all.

And yes, I'm very greatful tat computers and WETA and so on have finally made it possible to bring fantasy to the screen without any of the old limitations. Why, they could even render a realistic tengrem now! ;)

Karen

10:48 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

A gal after my heart...I love fantasy. SCI Queen the grandkidz call me...

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home