My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Moods and Writing

My son Thom said a simple sentence that struck me immediately. He said "Amazing what I can come up with when I'm in a good mood"... boy howdy, isn't that the truth!

Our many moods shift moment to moment and day by day.. so when we write in our journals (or sit to write something we hope will get published), the mood we are in can determine the outcome of what we are writing...

For writing in a journal this is something that shows readily.. if we are happy we talk about things that made us happy (or will make us happy).. if we are sad, we generally talk about serious matters, and if we are angry we usually attack something that bothers us.

But what about when someone is writing a book or something that will hopefully get published? Can it be a good thing? Or is it a bad thing? And do we notice the difference when we go back and reread or edit what has been written?

It makes me wonder.. it took me 2 years to write my mini trilogy .. could I have been in the same mood all that time? (doubtful).. so how did it effect what i wrote?

When I go back and read it I am not sure if i can tell what sort of mood I was in.. at the same time if i am doing edit on it, will i change things because now my mood is different? And will that make it better or worse?

I'm sure a down mood would be a good thing to be in if you are writing a sad chapter, like someone being sick or dieing.. and a good mood would be nice if you are writing something that is supposed to be cheery. But we can't control how we feel at any given moment, and so i sit and wonder how it effects all writers...

And I wonder why Thoms sentence made me think of all these questions in the first place! .. sheesh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Charles said...

Sometimes when I am in a bad mood, I write something silly to cheer me up. It all depends on whether I want to be happy or not. I ask my self that question alot.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Karen Funk Blocher said...

A bad or hopeless mood can interfere with getting any work done atall, or covince you that the stuff you're editing is hopelessly bad. On the other hand, I doubt that a good mood will interfere much with writing a death scene or other morose topic.

K.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home