My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Olympic End


Last night.. very late for me.. a smile crossed my face and a soft "hooray" passed my lips as I watched, cutie pie Apolo Ohno, fly on the short track to victory and the Olympic Gold Medal.

I was so happy he fulfilled his dream. The gold he won four years ago was due to a disqualifcation, and I know on some level, he felt he didn't really win it. But this time, there was no arguement that he didn't do it all on his own.

It has never happend to me personally, but I do get joy out of feeling the happiness of others when a welcomed dream comes true.

I wonder at times, how come I can feel happiness, just seeing someone else happy, but others cannot. Oprah does this to me alot. I see her make peoples dreams come true and i sit here and bawl like a kid. Don't get me wrong, there's always a little bit of envy that it's not me, but how could I not be happy for the person it happens to. Just knowing it's possible that dreams can come true makes me cry. (Which is why I never seem to be able to watch the movie Rudy without bawling.. sheesh.)

Ok.. so that's it for me on the Olympics... it's done and over with today. I will watch some of it tonight but at 10 pm.. it's over for me. I can forgo the closing ceremony when Gray Anatomy comes on lol. Gosh i am hooked on that show and on Lost.


Speaking of shows.. it's only two week until the Oscars!

Since my brothers conditions have gotten worse as time goes by, I no longer have many chances to go to the movies that i love so much. So when I found a list of nominees, i realized for the first time, that i hadn't been able to see even one of the movies nominated.

Boy, how I miss the days when DeForest was still alive. Each year, a few months before the Oscars, De would begin to get the movies, for his consideration, to vote. Once he viewed them, I would get a phone call..

"want to pick up some movies towatch?"

"umm, do the words hell yes mean anything?"

De would always laugh and tell me to come by, that he had a bag full of movies. During those years I think I enjoyed the Oscars the best. I had seen ALL the nominees (via De) and had formed my own opinions, and would watch to see if they were the same as what actually made the Oscars. Quite often I was NOT in agreement with them!

Best Picture
Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night, and Good Luck
Munich

Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Capote
Terrence Howard, Hustle & Flow
Heath Ledger, Brokeback Mountain
Joaquin Phoenix, Walk the Line
David Strathairn, Good Night, and Good Luck

Actress
Judi Dench, Mrs. Henderson Presents
Felicity Huffman, Transamerica
Keira Knightley, Pride & Prejudice
Charlize Theron, North Country
Reese Witherspoon, Walk the Line

Supporting Actor
George Clooney, Syriana
Matt Dillon, Crash
Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
Jake Gyllenhaal, Brokeback Mountain
William Hurt, A History of Violence

Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Junebug
Catherine Keener, Capote
Frances McDormand, North Country
Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener
Michelle Williams, Brokeback Mountain

Anyone have any favorites?

3 Comments:

Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

The only one I've seen so far is Walk the Line, which was great--I bought a new Johnny Cash CD after seeing it, to add to the two or three I already had.

I want to see almost all of these, especially Brokeback Mountain. I will see that one for sure, but not before I read the short story first. It's in Annie Proulx's collection of stories "Close Range: Wyoming Stories." I just got the book from my library, and will read it soon--maybe later today.

I want to see Capote, but want to read "In Cold Blood" first. It's one of those books I always meant to read, always wanted to, and the movie gives me the impetus to go do it, finally.

Movies cost an awful lot of money these days, and D has satellite at his house--we've gotten in the habit of waiting till they come on TV. *sigh* But there's still nothing like seeing them on the big screen.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

P.S. Congrats to Ohno, and you've told yet another touching "De" story...!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Virenda said...

Being a mom of 3 little ones I don't actually ever get to go the movies. I rent a lot though.

I wanted to comment about how sad your post made me. I'm soo soo very sorry that your brother isn't doing well and that you don't have your friend for support. I loved your story and think that the Oscar pre-movie watching is an awesome idea and sounds like a lot of fun.

I hope you watch it and are able to remember the past Oscars and still get enjoyment from it. I'll be watching too (in so. cal). Have a good night DesLily.

:0)

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home