My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

'Splain sumthin' to me Lucy..




ARGH!!!! I want to know something...
How come I can remember the dang words to "The Howdy Doody Show" and I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen?!!

Somedays I wonder if I really wake up just because I got out of bed and am walking around!!

Now that I have mentioned Howdy Doody I have that on my mind! I can even name the characters! (gag) Howdy, of course, Buffalo Bob, Clarabell, Mr Bluster,& Flubadub (can you imagine giving a child of today a toy named Flubadub?!) I'm also remembering the old television I watched it on.


Back when I was a kid (that would mean I was born before the 90's..the 80's..the 70's ..the 60's..and yes before the 50's!) Back then television in New Jersey consisted of SEVEN channels. That's 7, in case you thought you read wrong! We had channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. And, oh yes we also had an "antenna" on the house!

I'm so old I remember sitting in front of the television and watching a big "5" in a circle with lines going up, down and off to the sides, while I patiently waited the time a show would come on!! If you think kids are amused easily today, can you imagine a kid sitting in front of a
television "waiting" for a show to come on?!! Back then Howdy Doody was a hit (laughing right now) there was also a cartoon show I remember called "Junior Frolics" (you young folk never would never have made it back then LOL LOL)

As I got a little older (teenage) one thing i remember about those few channels was that there was never a time when they didn't have a good movie on. (today with a zillion channels sometimes it's hard to find a decent movie!) We had "the early show" (movie), "the late show" (movie),"The late late show" (movie), "The million dollar movie", and the "Saturday Matinee" There were others I'm sure but once again I seem to be having "one of those moments"


Our "entertainment shows" were shows like Ed Sullivan Show,

(For the life of me I just don't think todays kids would laugh at Senor Wences and his "talking hand puppet or the head in the box", or a puppet mouse called Topo Gigio, but boy how I loved them!),


Your Show of Shows (Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca), & Red Skelton,








for music we had "Your Hit Parade" which had all the popular singers of the time (like Rosemary Clooney and Frank Sinatra).

I really find it amazing how few shows we had back then, but when there wasn't any tv shows, there was always the radio. That too, was nothing like todays radio. In the evenings the radio had "shows" on them. Not just "talk shows".. but well scripted with stars voicing them. They had things from "Fibber Magee and Molly" to adventures like "The Lone Ranger"
to mysteries like, "Inner Sanctum". Talk about being on the edge of your seat! ANd we didn't even have special effects! Well, not visual ones lol.. we did have "sound effects"!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhkay.. I think i've rambled on more then I intended... and I still don't remember why I went into the kitchen!

4 Comments:

Blogger betty said...

I remember a lot of those shows you mentioned, Pat, remember watching them. Did you ever remember why you went into the kitchen?

betty

8:39 PM  
Blogger V said...

"Bob Smith & Howdy, too,
Sat Howdy-Do to you!"

Hehehehehe,
V

8:24 AM  
Blogger V said...

And Sherlock Holmes!!
V

8:25 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

I have moments like this, when I forget what I was going to get, and I am 30. There are so many t.v. stations and t.v. networks now, that they don't know what to put on anymore. Last year I saw independence day, twice on fox, and I remember seeing one movie three times. I think they also forget what they put on t.v.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home