My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Pookey and the Movie Star

I've been waiting to tell this story..
I hope it does what it's meant to do, and that is to give you a grin!


It's about my cat Pookey. If you read my journal you know Pookey is gone now but I had her for 16 yrs (5 of which she was diabetic, and given insulin shots).

Ok, where to start?.. I guess we start with the fact that I lived in California for about 10 years. One nice day (most days are nice in southern California, and I lived in "the valley") my x roomy and I decided to have a barbecue. We invited the Lyles (A.C and Martha) and the Kelley's (Carolyn and DeForest).

Again, if you've read my journal you already know that these people were friends of mine. (not to say I wasn't a "fan" first.. 'cause i was!.. but things turned into better things and a great friendship developed)


So.. we had a barbecue... everyone arrived and were in good spirits to enjoy the day sitting outside and gabbing while enjoying food from the grill. When the eating time was over we sat and chatted, this and that and whatever. Carolyn asked how Pookey was and I decided to bring her outside for a visit.

Let me backtrack here a moment and tell you something about Pookey.. she was a phenomenal cat, who didn't know she was a cat. She never minded being bathed or letting me cut her nails. A little thing I did with her when clipping her nails was to lay her on her back on my lap, and when I needed the back feet to clip the nails I simply scratched her back legs and up the legs would
come with her toes spread out. And in that position she would stay until I put her down again. Well, I never thought much of it, but one day my X roomy saw me doing this and began to laugh.. she laughed a lot! I asked what she was laughing at and she said "your cat looks like a little tramp"! (say what? MY Pookey?!) I looked down and her and realized that from her view... well.. she was right! and we both laughed.

Ok, that being said... Pookey came outside for a visit. I brought her around to everyone for some special pets and then sat down with her on my lap. My roommate mentioned (laughing while she did so), "why don't you show everyone how you trim Pookey's nails?" The thought even made me laugh... ok.. this is where I show you how Pookey looks when I lay her on my lap and scratch her back legs to get at her nails...




Now, you have to agree, ummm she does look rather.. ummmm "free spirited", heh.

I want you to take a good look at that picture again. I drew arrows so you could see her leg position.. but take note of the expression on her face as a hand reached out to her.
To me she sorta looks quizzical, like she might be saying, "did I give you permission to touch me?" (what do you think??)

Well, I scratched her legs and up went the legs spread out as far as they could reach. As soon as Carolyn and De saw this they cracked up.

"What a little slut" chimed in Carolyn (which made me laugh so hard i think i cried lol)

Doing what I ALWAYS did where the Kelley's were concerned (doing anything to make them laugh) I came back with, "I've taught her everything I know".

That nearly put DeForest on the floor! When he contained himself he reached over to Pookey (see picture) and the expression on her face was all she wrote! Her eyes followed his hand with wonderment and awww , hahaha.. she was "star struck"! lol lol


Never being one to be outdone, as DeForest pet Pookey he grinned and said, "Like mother, like daughter!" That about finished me! hahahaha..

What a day that was.. I'm glad I had these photo's because they are priceless in telling the story.. I guess you just had to be there, ya know?!


5 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

I always love when you tell stories about your times with the Kelleys... I don't think I have mentioned it before, but I am an avid SF person, and grew up watching the original Star Treks (and later all the OTHER ones ::g::)... but, what I am coming to is that my favorite character was always McCoy followed by Scotty.

I was lucky enough to go to, of all things, a Blockbuster where 'Scotty' was and he gave me an autograph and a picture of me.... sitting on his lap LOL. Unfortunately, the picture wasn't developed right away, and it has a distinct 'pink' cast to it... But, I've kept it anyway cause I was so happy to have met and spoke with one of my favorite characters.

10:50 PM  
Blogger betty said...

what a neat story with great pictures. Your Pookey was a classy kitty!

betty

11:12 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

My mom had a female cat named Chuck that passed away after 15 yrs only last month. That cat was a monolith. She was friggin' huge! 22 lbs! She was the most easiest going, docile cat ever. She would sit in whatever position you put her in, kinda' like your cat. Nothing bothered her. My son, when he was about 3, would pick her up under her arms and carry her around like that. She plain 'ol didn't give a crap. It was hilarious. Your cat reminds me of her. Too funny!

3:34 AM  
Blogger Charles said...

You had me smiling at, "Pookey.. she was a phenomenal cat, who didn't know she was a cat".

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Pat! I was lately pointed to your blog by another DeForest fan, and I LOVE IT. Thank you so much for sharing stories and pictures with us.

All the best from Germany and I hope to read many more entries from you in the future...hopefully some with De inside :)) - Birgit

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home