My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Tuesday Two

Wednesday, October 19, 200510:57:00 AM EDT
Feeling Sad

The Tuesdays Two at Patricks Place
I've never tried this before but have found many of the questions and answers interesting so i thought i would try to respond to this topic..........
THIS WEEK'S TOPIC: PREJUDICE


QUESTION A:Describe the last time you felt as though you were being discriminated against. Looking back at it now, do you think you really were being discriminated against?
or
QUESTION B:Do you think that we are automatically prejudiced against certain people, regardless of our upbringing? Why or why not?


Choose A or B, (indicate which question you're answering!) then either answer the question in a comment or answer it in your journal and include the link in a comment. (To be considered "first to play," a link must be to the specific entry in which you answered the question.)
Remember: choose one or the other...not both!


I am going to choose "A", and I'll tell you up front, as I look back I have no doubt that i was discriminated upon.

I am white, old, and not what anyone would call "one of the beautiful people". Some years ago i was living in southern California; Sherman Oaks to be precise. (the "valley"). I was in my mid 50's and had lost my job (a loooong, whole other story). I was sending out resumes and doing alot of praying as my "savings" wasn't a whole lot. I was one of those living from paycheck to paycheck, like many do.

One day i received a phone call from one of the places I had sent a resume to. A woman was on the other end. We spoke a few minutes and her voice sounded excited as she said, "You sound perfect! Exactly what we want! When can you come in and fill in some papers and have an interview?"

I got hopeful inside, something that I don't do easily, and told her i could come in later the same day.

The job I was going to interview for wasn't one that would need a rocket scientist. They were a company that rented "lights" to movie studios. (most jobs in the valley related to the movie studios one way or another) But, there I was.. middle aged, wrinkles and all..

Gee, do you want to guess the response when i walked in for the interview? Well, I'll tell you anyway.. it was like watching a cartoon of a face going from a "smiley" to "totally disappointed"... and i hadn't even said hello yet.

They had no choice but to have me fill in the papers, since they asked me to come.. but when it came time for the "interview" the very same lady that sounded so excited on the phone came in and told me, she would call but.. (here it comes) "but, it seems the boss has decided not to fill the position at this time." I dare anyone to tell me i wasn't discrimintated against. I wasn't one of the "beautiful people" that should be working in any position where i might be discovered by a studio.... get real folks, when is the last time a producer or a casting director went out and rented the lighting for the studio??? I'm (at that time) in my mid 50's! do you really think i want this job to be discovered??? However, I would like this job to pay my rent and to put food on my table!

To this day you could never convince me that my age wasn't discriminated against. And it didn't stop there.. it continued until my savings ran out and i was forced to survive by moving to NJ and in with my older brother. Want more discrimination? File for welfare. ('nuff said)

Some people get lost in thought... because its unfamiliar territory

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home